G.O. to the Rec!

G.O. to the Rec!

UTSA women now have a program that caters to their interests in a comfortable, judgment-free workout environment.

The UTSA Recreation Center’s Outdoor Pursuits’ new program is called the GO! (“girls-only”) Program. GO! was initiated in Fall 2015 and is a woman-centered program that aims to get more women involved in Outdoor Pursuits activities.

The GO! Program’s founder and graduate assistant at Outdoor Pursuits Melanie Johnson said, “I wanted to begin this program to increase women’s participation in Outdoor Pursuits events and trips. Outdoor pursuits activities have often been male dominated, and I felt that some women might feel intimidated by this. The GO! Program can help bring in more female participants. By participating, women can meet other women with similar interests in the program’s trips and events.”

The GO! Program will have a rock climbing and yoga event on April 9, at the Rec’s rockwall. The free, girls-only event entails a yoga class from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. and rock climbing from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. The event will have all women instructors as well as some advanced women student climbers who can encourage and advise beginner climbers.

The GO! Program has also offered girl-specific trips. Last semester, the program hosted a girls-only paddle boarding and yoga trip to Austin, TX. This semester in early February, the program hosted a river-canoeing trip to the Guadalupe River. Outdoor Pursuits offers some of these trips at a low-cost. The costs of the trips are dependent on certain factors and can vary by trip. For specific information on trips including costs, contact Outdoor Pursuits at (210) 458-6720 or visit campusrec.utsa.edu/outdoor-pursuits/trips.