Tacos as a dietary staple

Texans can attest to one simple fact: tacos are the bomb. While an everyday norm for Texans, people from other states may be shocked to see San Antonians stuff their faces withpotato & egg breakfast tacos at 7 a.m. Tacos are eaten for lunch, dinner, as pick-me-up snacks and even for brunch with one (or three) mimosas. Tacos are pretty diverse and are a staple in most San Antonians’ diets. So where can these tacos be found? Here are some picks for the taco enthusiast.

Breakfast Taco Fanatics

For those early morning breakfast stops, The Original Donut Shop is the place to go for some cheap, satisfying tacos (and donuts). Located at 3307 Fredericksburg Rd., Original Donut Shop offers a variety of breakfast tacos. But remember to bring cash! This old-school restaurant doesn’t accept credit cards and is open Monday-Saturday 6 a.m.-2 p.m. and Sunday 7 a.m.-2 p.m. The lines can get long, but it’s well worth the wait for some tacos, donuts and fresh coffee.

Brunch lovers

Ever had a craving for some tacos and a mimosa? Luther’s Café located at 1503 N. Main Ave. offers the Taco Trio which has sausage & egg, brisket & egg and bacon & egg taco plates on their brunch menu. On Sundays, they have Hangover Brunch from 3 p.m.-7 p.m. for those who party all Saturday night and end up rolling out of bed late Sunday afternoon. They also have a live DJ, a bloody Mary bar and an extra-large “big boy” mimosa for those who want to keep the party going. Luther’s Café is open Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 12 a.m. and Friday & Saturday from 11 a.m. to 3 a.m.

Budget-Conscious

Sazón Mexican Café, located at 9822 Potranco Rd., has great taco plates at low prices for those working warriors taking a lunch break. This restaurant offers combination plates for those not only looking for a good taco but would also like an enchilada or chalupa on the side as. Some popular choices are carne guisada, carne asada, pork chop & beans, tripas and picadillo. They have won various awards such as the Express-News Reader’s Choice Award for best Mexican restaurant in San Antonio and two News 4 San Antonio’s Blue Plate Awards. With a reputation like that, it’s hard not to want to scope out the tacos from Sazón’s. This restaurant is open Sunday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Healthy Peeps

For those who are seeking a healthier alternative to tacos, Adelante Restaurant, located at 21 Brees Blvd, offers options for vegans, vegetarians and carnivores alike so no one in your squad is left out (unless they don’t like Mexican food; you should reconsider your friends). Not only does this place offer vegan and vegetarian options like the zucchini taco, but they also give customers the option of choosing their tortilla: whole wheat, crispy, puffy, soft corn or red handmade masa. Hours for this restaurant are Tuesday through Friday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Adelante is closed on Mondays and Sundays and only accepts cash or checks.

Late night-ers

For those who enjoy club hopping or like to roam the city late at night, Tacos El Regio located at 2726 N. St. Mary’s St. is a local fan favorite of San Antonians and is open Monday through Saturday from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m. A second option for those who live closer to UTSA and aren’t looking to use up too much gas while hunting for tacos, The Block at 14530 Roadrunner Way hosts the Chela’s Tacos truck and is open until midnight for those late-night cravings. The hours for this food truck are Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 12 a.m., Friday & Saturday from 12 p.m. to 2 a.m. and Sunday from 12 p.m. to 12 a.m.