UTSA Clayfusion: where talent and passion blend

Photos by Chase Otero, The Paisano

On the western side of the Main Campus resides a very special environment for one of UTSA’s most constructive student organizations. Clayfusion, a ceramics student group at UTSA, is here to promote ceramics while showcasing their homemade works from local places in town to national conventions all over America. Many might not know of this obscure club or the facilities that make its handcrafted art blossom, but UTSA is home to a ceramics organization that is filled with brightened aspirations and loads of talent to match.

Clayfusion has existed for a little over six years and has only grown since its creation. Founded by students who wanted to bring the hype to ceramics, Clayfusion is now operated by twenty members and counting. You may have also seen Clayfusion on campus a handful of times around the Sombrilla where they hold their annual pottery sale. Clayfusion is meant for students interested in ceramics, whether they’re well traversed in the art of pottery or just think it looks cool. There is no skill set required to join, just a willingness to have fun.

Among the projects Clayfusion is working on, they have created a piece for the Luminaria exhibit

One of the hopes for Clayfusion is to attend The National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts (NCECA) next year in Portland, Oregon. NCECA is the world’s largest clay convention, which takes place in a different city in the U.S. every year. It’s a chance to talk to artists from around the world, develop unique skill sets and gain access to exclusive workshops. Most importantly, it’s an opportunity to network with highly respected artists from across the world.

Clayfusion’s goal this year is to send their group to NCECA during spring break in 2017. The members need help to get there though. Clayfusion is hoping to fundraise around $4,000 in small or large donations through their website. When you donate to Clayfusion, you are directly paying for students’ air travel, hotel rooms, car transportation and convention fees for all four days. As a bonus, contributors to their website will receive a custom hand-made mug or pendant from the students themselves.

“(NCECA) is an amazing opportunity, and it would look very good for UTSA to have a group of artists sent to Portland,” Clayfusion’s PR Director, senior Elyse Grams said. “This is something that all of the big schools, they know about this and they’re sending kids to. So we want those same opportunities. We really appreciate your support. A dollar, two dollars; the amount of the donation doesn’t matter, but anything that would help us.”

img_8133

“The great thing about UTSA is that professors really encourage us to go out and find shows,” Grams elaborated on how important this trip could be to students. “They want us to have these opportunities, because they look good on a resume, they’re good experiences to have and they help us grow as artists.” Grams stated that UTSA has been great to the ceramic society and that San Antonio is “a really great community for developing artists” and ceramic creators alike.

Clayfusion is getting their projects ready and are optimistic at the chance to attend next year’s biggest ceramic convention yet. If all this talk of ceramics and art in general is titillating your senses, then make sure to check out its facility over by the West Campus area at UTSA’s Main Campus. It holds graduate art shows and constantly has mind-blowing creations the moment you step inside the building. There is also a ceramic gallery on the second floor of the art building that changes every month, and, at the end of the semester, there is always an art showcase of the graduating seniors that semester. You can find Clayfusion on Instagram at UTSA.Ceramics, and you can also follow them on their Facebook page, Clayfusion. 

To donate to Clayfusion visit https://fund.utsa.edu/project/2921