Roadrunner football makes waves in C-USA

Frank Wilson, in his first season as UTSA footballs’s head coach, is bringing a new style of play to the football program. David Guel, The Paisano

This season UTSA football has shown promise. Considering how young the program is, there is still the potential for growth to take place.

However, Frank Wilson and Roadrunners have hit the ground running. The Roadrunners, coming off a redeeming 31-17 win against North Texas on Saturday Oct. 29, have fought hard in conference play this year. The Roadrunners are currently 4-4 with four more games still left to play for the season.

They have had big wins against conference opponents Rice and Southern Miss. On average, the Roadrunners are scoring 29.50 points per a game while their opponents are scoring 26.88 points per a game.

The Roadrunners have a stable quarterback situation. At the beginning of the season, there was a toss up about who would be UTSA’s starting quarterback; however, junior Dalton Sturm has proved himself to be the man for the job. He is currently holding a 60.94 percent pass completion and has thrown 15 touchdowns to a low four interceptions. On the defensive side, there has been an emergence of new talent with freshman linebacker Josiah Tauefa. Tauefa leads the defense in total tackles (79) and sacks (4).

Head Coach Frank Wilson has done a good job binging some toughness and energy to the football program. The Roadrunners, even though only 4-4 thus far, are making some noise in Conference USA.

With four games left and a potential bowl game, there is still much to see in the arena of UTSA football.