Let’s make America engaged again

I have never been a proponent of a presidency under Donald J. Trump and his Vice President Mike Pence, but that possibility is now a reality for America, regardless of my opinion.

The election results essentially sealed the fate of the next four years in American politics, and the onset of depression set in for many people who held anti-Trump sentiments. I remember the legitimate fear and grief in the room. At that moment, I saw an opportunity to get more Americans politically involved.

Protests around the nation have taken shape since Trump’s election and, so far, have remained strong and consistent in their message: “Donald Trump is not my president.” The passion behind this anti-Trump movement is something I believe we can harness and turn into a force that will make passing any future legislation possible by only passing the people’s approval first.

The number of Americans who are politically involved is laughable when compared to other countries and their voter participation.

This article isn’t a suggestion to oust everything Trump will do but is a call to seize the opportunity to rally behind causes and movements that garner support from people all across the political spectrum. This rallying can be opposition to legislation or pushing agendas that aren’t being addressed.

I want to see people turn their fears into passion for causes they care about. Hopefully, the intense involvement from the people of any political standpoint persists and creates a paradigm shift in what it means to be politically active in this nation.

It would be nice to see this sudden interest in political engagement be cultivated into a country where citizens consistently partake in the government, a government which was originally built on the will of the people to fight for what they wanted to change.

I’m not excited for a Trump presidency, but I am excited for what it could mean for the future of civic engagement and civic duty. The last thing we need to do is divide into two distinct red and blue camps. Instead, we should fight for the changes we agree on and debate the ideologies we disagree on. Let’s stop talking politics and start engaging in politics.