Roadrunners roll on

Basketball-1

The UTSA men’s basketball team has kept busy during the winter break.

The team has posted a record of 6-2 in their last eight games, including an unforgettable 83-82 win against the University of Houston on New Year’s Day in which the Roadrunners were able to hold the NCAA’s leading scorer Aubrey Coleman to only 10 points.

The team also saw more of promising freshman Melvin Johnson, who recorded a career-high 20 points against McMurry University (8-4, 6-2).

The team’s last game was a 78-69 win over McNeese State (5-10, 0-1). With the win the Roadrunners improved their overall record to 11-3, 1-0 in conference play.

This is the first time in school history that the men’s team has started a season with a winning record of 11-3. Moreover, Head Coach Brooks Thompson was able to obtain his 50th win.

Offensively the Roadrunners have improved, and are now averaging 73.8 points per game in their favor.

However, if the Roadrunners plan on making a run for the Conference tittle, they will have to start on the defensive side of the court. Opponents are averaging 61.8 ppg against the Roadrunners, but with the current talent on the team, expect this number to decrease very soon.

To put things in perspective the number one team in the nation (the Longhorns) is giving up 63 points per contest, so the Roadrunners should feel good about where they are headed.

The Roadrunners next home game will be Jan. 13 in the Convocation Center against Nicholls State at 7 p.m.