Frank: not your average hotdog

Photos by Samantha Jones

Known as the Arts District, San Antonio’s Southtown has created a national buzz with their emerging food scene and eclectic design. Comprised of the historic King William district and the artistic Blue Star Arts Complex, the up-and-coming area is filled with shopping opportunities, beautiful, scenic areas, and restaurants offering unique flavors and fusions.

Frank, located in the heart of Southtown, has been open almost a year, and it has already solidified its place in the culinary scene of San Antonio. Located in the former Alamo Methodist Church, the restaurant has based its menu around an American classic: the hot dog.

Make no mistake, though—these are not the ballpark franks found on the grill.

The restaurant, which originated in Austin, boasts an impressive menu of artisan sausages with an eclectic assortment of toppings, delicious waffle fries, a full bar (upstairs and downstairs) and other treats that will delight your taste buds, while stroking your nostalgia.

Frank’s interior is a tapestry of old world charm and modern ideas. The upstairs has retained the original structure and wood floors, adding a bar, as well as a projector for sporting events. I opted for a seat at the bar and was promptly greeted by the bartender.

After perusing the menu that included several tasty options, I selected the Notorious P.I.G., The Stag, and side of waffle fries to complete the meal.

The Notorious P.I.G., which boasted a custom-made smoked back, jalapeno, sage and pork sausage, was very tasty. The tangy barbecue sauce meshed well together and made for an interesting, albeit messy eating experience.  That being said, the inclusion of the macaroni and cheese was visually astounding but added little to the overall flavor.

The Stag’s blueberry-habanero-espresso barbecue sauce created a relatively sweet hot dog, which was a surprise. Like the P.I.G., though, the excessive toppings made things messy, and I had to request extra napkins to avoid wearing my food.

If you’re a fan of spice, then I highly recommend both of these dogs! Thankfully the bartender was ready and willing to provide me with water and specialty cocktails.

The waffle fries were, in my opinion, the stars of the show. They were seasoned appropriately, adequately fried, and they were served at a good temperature. A certain fast-food franchise could take a lesson or two from Frank’s waffle fries.

In addition, the bartenders really know what they’re doing. I had a drink upstairs and downstairs, and the consistency shown by both bartenders is impressive. I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea in both locations, and both knocked me off my seat—figuratively.

Ultimately, Frank is great for those looking for the next step in hot dog evolution. Those who cling to the classics may not enjoy the random toppings or artisan sausages. That being said, if you would like to challenge your taste buds, head over to Frank.