Terminal 136 displays installations by UTSA art faculty

“The News” by Ken Little. Enrique Bonilla, The Paisano

Each first Thursday of the month, art walks are held in the King Williams Cultural Arts Districts. On April 6 the arts department hosted their opening reception for “Faculty Selects” at Terminal 136 in the Blue Star Arts Complex. The exhibit showcases highlights of 18 artists who currently teach art and art history at UTSA. Professors exhibited a wide range of mediums at the free art show held biannually. Typically the show is held on campus, but due to scheduling conflicts, it was moved to the downtown UTSA gallery Terminal 136. “This is a secondary gallery we use for student exhibitions, jury exhibitions and international exhibitions,” said participating artist, Ty Wilcox.

“Faculty Selects” is an opportunity to immerse oneself in the breadth of talent among the faculty of the department of art and art history of UTSA. Off campus, art professors are active members of the arts community. Many have participated in residencies around the globe including the annual Blue Star sponsored Berlin residency where the institute selects four artists residing in Bexar County to live in Berlin and work with the Künstlerhaus Bethanien gallery in Berlin’s vibrant art district.

Andrei Renteria is one participant who has been active in the Blue Star district, showcasing work at the “Homage” exhibit during contemporary art month in March. He has also participated in the Blue Star sponsored Berlin residency at the Künstlerhaus Bethanien gallery. Renteria spoke on future plans for mural work and his indigenous justice inspired lithograph, El Salto Temido y Acariciado and the work of his colleagues. “I think the show demonstrates the high caliber of instructors that we have. A lot of these artists have been funded by national and international organizations.”

The arts and arts history department at UTSA have been recognized by The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts, the National Endowment for the Arts and Artpace among many more. The recognition and support from highly acclaimed institutions is well deserved, considering the diverse and high-caliber oeuvre at Terminal 136. Faculty Selects will be on display at Terminal 136 until April 22, free of charge. Displaying artists include: Richard Armendariz, Christie Blizard, Gregory Blizard, Gregory Elliot, Ovidio Giberga, Buster Graybill, Jayne Lawrence, Ken Little, Mark McCoin, Ben McVey, Michele Monseau, Juan De Dios Mora, Katie Pell, Andrei Renteria, Libby Rowe, Kent Rush, Humberto Saenz, Ty Wilcox and Jason Pearce Wil