First game, first win

Men's Basketball

Womens

Roadrunners’ starting guard Judy Jones threw a block party in a 74-53 win against the St. Edwards Hilltoppers at the Convocation Center Saturday night, and the rest of the Roadrunners joined in the festivities.

Jones’ team leading six blocks (four of which were in the first half) helped set in motion the defensive dominance the Roadrunners unquestionably crave to establish for their first regular season game against the University of Texas Longhorns on Nov. 13.

The Runners’ point production was equally established, shooting 8-12 on free throws and leading by as many as 28 points in the first half.

Jones said her teammates’ hustle is what ultimately led to victory.

She couldn’t overlook Asleigh Franklin’s team leading 18 points and 14 rebounds.

“Asleigh crashed the boards and definitely helped with the win,” Jones said over the Roadrunner crowd who was still enthusiastically cheering after the win.

She noted the crowd “amps us up, even though we have to talk over them in the game,” and knows the fans strongly respond to the team’s shot-blocking ability.

“We don’t want fans to come and have nothing to see,” she said.

The Runners’ fans had plenty to see and should certainly be pumped for the next home game on Nov. 15 against Shreiner.

Mens

The Roadrunners were able to hold off persistent Midwestern State Saturday night for a 75-64 victory in their only exhibition game of the year.

“Never back down. We ain’t going nowhere; that’s the mentality,” junior guard Devin

Gibson said after the game. Which is exactly what the Roadrunners did in order to get the win.

Despite early foul trouble, Gibson managed nine points, a steal, and an assist in his first eight minutes of play. Senior guard Mo Smith also contributed big in the first half with 9 points. Chris Allen followed with 6 points while playing point guard in Gibson’s absence.

The Roadrunners were able to keep a steady lead throughout most of the early part of the first half, but the Runners’ poor shooting and lack of boxing out allowed Midwestern State to gain a 37-36 lead going into the halftime.

The second half started with a more physical Roadrunner defense. Gibson once again had sat early with foul trouble.

Nevertheless, the Roadrunner defense looked more improved in the second half, crashing the boards and out rebounding Midwestern State 23-19, with senior Josh Bonney accounting for seven.

The Runners were also able to shut down much of the pick-n-roll that had caused them some trouble in the first half as well.

The Roadrunners started their comeback by frequently driving to the basket and drawing fouls, ultimately attempting 26 free throws in the half.

Terry Fields came up big with 10 second half points, many of which he got by hard earned layups.

Freshman Melvin Johnson pushed the Roadrunners past Midwestern State with an “and one” layup making it 50-48 with 11 minutes to play.

Gibson came back midway into the game and tied Allen with a team high 14 points. Terry Fields would follow with a total of 12 points along with Smith and his 11 points.

The Roadrunners will tip off the regular season against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Nov. 15 as they take part in the O’Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic Tournament. Tip off for that game is scheduled at 5 p.m. on ESPNU.