Athlete of the week: Bryan Arias

Photo courtesy of UTSA Athletics

Sophomore second baseman Bryan Arias for the Roadrunners baseball team has had quite a season. He was recently awarded Conference-USA co-hitter of the week and he is leading the team in home runs (8) and RBI’s (26). Arias and the ‘Runners are currently sporting a 15-15 overall record and a five and six conference record.

Arias is double majoring in finance and accounting, but like many college students he is unsure of what he wants to do with his degree. Although he had many offers from other schools, Arias chose UTSA because he is a San Antonio native and felt that it would be best for him and his family. He also cites his mom’s cooking as a strong factor in his decision to stay in San Antonio. He attended Marshall High School, and in his junior year, committed to UTSA. He has a younger sister who plays softball and a younger brother who plays basketball.

Baseball is a sport of ups and downs; Arias is all too familiar with the process. “It’s very humbling,” he said, “you could be at the top of the mountain one day and the next you feel like you never want to play again. It really helps you get through a lot of things in life.”

Arias knows the mental aspect of the game is just as important as all the others, and he feels it’s of utmost importance to let go of mental blocks and just play the game you love.
Arias has been listening to a lot of Ed Sheeran lately which keeps him down to earth. His friends give him mixed reactions when it comes to his pregame artist of choice. “Shape of You” and “Thinking Out Loud” are his go-to jams. Arias’ favorite breakfast food are chorizo and egg tacos, especially the ones that his mother makes.

Arias is a passionate athlete who wants to bring as much success to the Roadrunners as he can. “The want to be successful and doing what- ever I can to make my family proud,” he states is what he plays for, “and making myself happy, because that’s what it’s really all about.” The Roadrunners next home conference game is on Friday April 21. Here, you can see Bryan Arias and the rest of the Roadrunner baseball team take on Florida Atlantic University in a three-game series.