Stars aligning for 2017 Roadrunner football season

Dalton Sturm takes the field with the rest of the team behind him. David Guel, The Paisano.

With the Texas heat blazing and the summer beginning, the UTSA football team has put in work during the offseason as they prepare for their upcoming season. The strength and conditioning program they are on has the team both physically and mentally prepared for fall.

After a solid 2016-2017 season that resulted in a 6-7 (5-3 CUSA) record as well as UTSA Football’s first ever bowl game appearance, the Roadrunners are looking for even more success this coming year.

With Head Coach Frank Wilson entering his second year at UTSA, the ‘Runners are looking to take the next step this season. They desire to improve their record as well as make another bowl run. Both sides of the ball were looking solid in the spring and are trying to continue to stride into the season.

The defense may be the team’s strength. Their stacked front seven is led by standouts such as Defensive Lineman Marcus Davenport who put up ten tackles for losses and 6.5 sacks in 2016. Along with Davenport, inside linebacker Josiah Tauaefa tallied over 100 total tackles and Outside Linebacker La’Kel Bass had 86 total tackles last season. Safety Nate Gaines leads the secondary after racking up 81 total tackles, one interception, and two forced fumbles in his 2016 campaign.

QB Sturm throws a deep ball down the field in the spring game. Chase Otero, The Paisano

Returning Quarterback Dalton Sturm threw 20 touchdowns with only six interceptions and rushed for four touchdowns in 2016 while receivers Josh Stewart and Kerry Thomas Jr. each recorded over 500 receiving yards last year. Both players are ready to continue leading the offense. With more confidence and experience on the roster, the Roadrunners have the potential to be better than last season.

The team has a vision, and they will do whatever it takes to achieve their goals. “We can be as good as we want to be,” Josh Stewart said at the Spring Game, where both teams showed flashes of dominance.

The Roadrunners schedule consists of six Texas teams. The ‘Runners start the year off with matchups against the Houston Cougars followed by the Baylor Bears, two teams that both the fans and the ‘Runners are looking forward to playing.

As the summer rolls on, the Roadrunners are hitting their workouts hard as they prepare for the upcoming fall season. The season kicks off on Saturday, Sep. 2 in the Alamodome.