The overlooked disease

There is an overlooked disease many people are unaware of–food allergies. A food allergy is a medical condition in which certain foods trigger the immune system to create an allergic reaction, and a severe reaction can cause anaphylactic shock.

The eight major food allergens that cause the most severe food allergic reactions in the United States are milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, soy, fish and shellfish.

According to FARE, there is an estimated 15 million Americans that have food allergies and about 30 percent of children with food allergies are allergic to more than one food. Imagine going to a restaurant feeling nervous about asking questions because you’re too embarrassed of the reactions you’re going to receive from your waiter.

Every three minutes, someone is sent to the emergency room due to a food allergy reaction. People don’t understand the risks associated with  going out to eat, participating in potlucks and going to gatherings with family and friends. So if you know someone with a food allergy, please understand they are taking a risk every time they bite into a dish they haven’t eaten.

There are many events in Texas that educate the public about food allergies. The

is held in Dallas, TX on Oct. 28-29. The event will exhibit over 100 food allergy friendly companies and have seminars to educate the issues that are continuing to be resolved. At the end of the day, the expo is trying to give people with food allergies more of a sense of ease when they dine, because their lives are on the line.