President Romo appoints new dean

Romo

In August 2009, the college of architecture will have a new dean. President Ricardo Romo has appointed John D. Murphy Jr., currently a professor and director of international education at Auburn University’s McWhorter School of Building Science.

Murphy will replace interim dean Robert Baron, who served in the position since 2007.

In an interview with UTSA Today, John Frederick, UTSA provost and vice president of academic affairs, said, “Dr. Murphy brings new dimensions to our college of architecture and a rich experience in building sciences that will complement and extend our strengths in design, and I am delighted to welcome someone with his talents and energy to the university as we continue to evolve into a national research university.”

Murphy began teaching in 1990 at Texas A&M University. After becoming a professor at Colorado State University in 1992, he was published in various construction science publications, including the Journal of Construction Education, Building Research Journal, the Journals of Applied Fire Science, the Indoor Air Review, the Journal of Industrial Technology and the American Institute of Constructors Journal.

In 2000, Murphy joined Auburn University’s faculty. There he increased the enrollment of the international education program from half a dozen students per year to about 40 students annually.

Dr. Murphy told UTSA Today that he is excited about the future of the college of architecture at UTSA. “It is already staffed with impressive faculty and staff; I look forward to leading efforts that will continue to grow the college and increase our sphere of positive influence in the city of San Antonio, the region and the United States. The university is poised to continue its positive trajectory of educational excellence and community engagement, and the college of architecture will continue to play a major role in that success,” Murphy said.

Murphy earned a doctoral degree in architecture with an emphasis in construction science and management, a master’s degree in construction management and a bachelor’s degree in building construction from Texas A&M University in 1993, 1983, and 1982, respectively.

The college of architecture is currently the second-largest architecture school in Texas.

The college also offers three undergraduate degrees, a master of architecture, a master of science in architecture and graduate certificates in historic preservation and urban and regional planning.