Third Annual Black Homecoming

Sigma Gamma Rho hosts “Black Jeopardy.” AJ Lopez / The Paisano

From Oct. 15 through Oct. 21, predominantly black organizations will come together to host the third-annual Black Homecoming, a week full of events open to all UTSA students.

Two organizations are in charge of Black Homecoming, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) and the Black Student Leadership Council (BSLC). The NAACP and BSLC schedule the week of events based on which organizations under their council want to participate. 

The purpose of Black Homecoming is to bring the African American community together and to inform students about issues that may affect them. 

“When Black Homecoming was first created, NAACP saw a need within our community for us to come together. We weren’t working as a collective group. We weren’t supporting each other,” said Bless Corey, a politics and law senior and President of BSLC. 

Corey stated that the NAACP started Black Homecoming in order to coordinate events and create a space for the African American community, and for other students to experience what predominantly black organizations have to offer. 

Taylor Irons, Black Homecoming co-chair and member of BSLC, believes that an important aspect of homecoming is diversity. This year, the African Student Association and the Caribbean Student Association are joining the organizations that are participating in Black Homecoming.

“Being able to experience those different cultures [ASA and CSA] and being immersed in them is really important,” Irons said.

Seventeen student organizations will be participating this year and will be hosting 11 events this week. Group collaboration was an important aspect Irons pushed for.  

“Collaboration was something I wanted to implement and enforce. I feel like a lot of people within our community tend to be huddled up in their own cliques and stick to the people they know. So, I wanted to push and challenge the organizations to partner with somebody that they normally wouldn’t partner with,” Irons said.  

On Oct. 15, Sigma Gamma Rho hosted “Black Jeopardy” outside of the Rowdy Campus Store in the Student Union. The Black Health Professions Organization hosted “After-Dark,” a session discussing sexual health awareness, in the Main Building.

On Oct. 16, My Sister’s Keeper will host “Nice for What,” an event discussing women’s confidence and empowerment, in the Denman Ballroom at 4 p.m. The event will include refreshments, networking, a panel of distinguished UTSA students and a presentation from guest speaker and CEO of the Center for Health Care Services Jelynne LeBlanc Burley. In the evening, Women of Honor and Men of Honor will host “Come Through and Chill,” a movie and game night in the Denman Ballroom at 7 p.m.

On Oct. 17, candidates for Black Royalty Queen will campaign for the crown. Voting will take place on Rowdylink and last until Oct. 18.  This year’s candidates include: Ana Richie, Taylor Irons, Myracle Williams, Iyanuoluwa Lawal and Alfred Wande. The 2018 Black Royalty Queen will be announced on Oct. 19.

On Oct. 17, the NAACP and the Black Law Student Association will host “Read Between the Lines,” a book drive for incarcerated minorities in the Student Union Ski Lounge starting at 6 p.m. The event will include live music, refreshments and a presentation discussing juvenile justice led by Dieter Cantu, UTSA alumnus and founder of Cantu’s books. At 7 p.m., Omega Psi Phi will host a flag football game at the recreation fields. 

On Oct. 18, Zeta Phi Beta and Alpha Kappa Alpha will host “Boss,” a black entrepreneurship event, at 6 p.m. in the Mesquite Room (SU 2.01.24). At 9 p.m., Embrace will host “Can You Handle It,” a speed dating mixer, in the Travis Room (SU 2.202).

On Oct. 19, the NAACP, African Student Association and Caribbean Student Association will host “This Is How We Do It,” a block party, on the Paseo beginning at 5 p.m. 

On Oct. 20, BSLC will host “Keep Family Close,” a field day event, at 10:45 a.m. at the recreation fields. 

On Oct. 21, Black Homecoming will conclude with the UTSA VIP Gospel Choir and the Impact Movement will host “We Livin’,” a church service, at 10:30 a.m. in the Main Building (MB 0.104).