Women’s basketball off to a slow start

Lindsey Thomas

UTSA’s women’s basketball team began their conference play during the break. Although they got off to a slow start, the ladies took their first win of the conference on Jan. 12. The Roadrunners started their conference play against UTEP on Jan. 5. The Roadrunners had a 6-0 lead in the first quarter, but they lost momentum in the third quarter. By the fourth quarter, the Miners continued to control the basketball which lead to them scoring 24 points and taking the win at 73-60.

The Roadrunners suffered a big loss against Rice on Jan. 10. In the first quarter, the Rice Owls started the game off with a quick six points. Although Tija Hawkins and Marie Benson shot 35.8 percent on the court, Rice came out on top for the first quarter at 28-15. Rice continued to score in the second quarter, shooting 53.3 percent from the court and increasing their lead. The Owls kept the lead at the half with 48-22. In the third quarter, Benson and Hawkins scored double digits for the Roadrunners, but Rice still won the quarter with 70-33. UTSA scored 22 points in the fourth quarter, but it was still not enough for the win. Rice took the game home with a score of 85-54.

[table width =”100%” style =”” responsive =”false”]
    [table_head]
    [th_column][/th_column]
    [/table_head]
    [table_body]
    [table_row]
    [row_column]

[/row_column]
    [/table_row]
    [/table_body]
    [/table]

UTSA won their first game in conference on Jan. 12 against North Texas with a close score of 57-54. The Roadrunners improved their record to 6-9 overall and 1-2 in C-USA action. During the first quarter, the Roadrunners started off strong with Benson scoring the first layup. North Texas went on a 6-0 run until Hawkins tied the game at six. The Roadrunners took a 10-8 lead with 2:40 remaining. Both teams worked for the ball and eventually tied at 15, finishing the first quarter. Although North Texas started the second quarter with a quick four points, Benson tied the game at 19. Karrington Donald shot a 3-pointer which increased their lead to 22-19. Kourtney Kekec made a layup to take the lead to seven. She continued with another layup as the Roadrunners led by nine. UTSA took their largest lead of the half with just 37 seconds remaining. Roadrunners led 34-22 at the half. Coming into the third quarter the Roadrunners continued to lead until UNT shot a 3-pointer. UNT’s renewed momentum tightened the score to 50-43, UTSA at the top. Both teams started off the fourth quarter unable to control the basketball until UNT made a layup to bridge the gap to three. From then, the game was tied until Marie Benson took two free throws to lead the Roadrunners to victory.

With their first conference win in the books, the UTSA women’s basketball team returns to action this Thursday, Jan. 17. They will face Middle Tennessee at 7 p.m. in the Convocation Center.