Game, set, match

tennis

The UTSA men’s tennis team opened up their 2010 season with a 7-0 sweep of Prairie View A&M on Saturday, and a 6-1 win against Laredo Community College on Sunday at the UTSA Tennis Center.

The Roadrunners jumped out to the early 1-0 lead by sweeping the doubles competition.

At No. 3, junior Max Stratmann paired with freshman Tyler Brown to knock out Jose Garcia and Jimmy Yates, 8-3. UTSA captured the doubles point when the senior-freshman duo of Rodrigo Morgado and Martin Ayala defeated Kristen Powell and Craig Wiltz Jr., 8-4. Junior Daniel Moreiras and sophomore Pedro Zanotelli also picked up a win at the No. 2 spot when they beat Kuda Nyatoti and Ronald Chidzikwe, 9-8 (7-2).

“The guys did what they needed to do to get the job done in doubles today,” head coach Dr. Oliver Trittenwein said. “I’m still playing with my doubles pairings and trying to decide what combinations I like, but they took care of business today.”

In singles action, Ayala made quick work of Nyatoti at the top spot with a 6-1, 6-1 victory. Zanotelli dropped Christopher Jordan in straight sets at No. 6, 6-0, 6-3, while senior Jorge Delgado sealed the win for the Roadrunners, knocking out Powell, 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 5 spot.

Brown and Moreiras picked up straight-set wins at the Nos. 2 and 4 spots, respectively, while Strattman and Chidzikwe split their first two sets, 6-0, 4-6, before Strattman took the match in the third-set super-tiebreaker, 10-7.

On Sunday Moreiras and Zanotelli won at No. 3 doubles with an 8-2 win against Arias and Baptista of LCC. Stratmann and Brown teamed up for the 8-3 victory at No. 2 slot given the Roadrunners the 1-0 lead.

In singles action, Brown put UTSA up 2-0 with his straight set win (6-2, 6-2) against Narducci at the No. 2 position. LCC cut the Roadrunners deficit to 2-1, when Carvalho handed Ayala a 6-3, 6-1 loss at the top slot. However, Moreiras and Stratmann gave the Runners the victory with back-to-back triumphs at No. 4 and No. 5 spots.

Seniors Jorge Delgado and Rodrigo Morgado were also in action. Delgado swept through his match (6-4, 6-3) against Rovira. Meanwhile, Morgado won a hard fought match versus Arias. The Balneario Cambori, Brazil, native won the first set 6-3, but Arias came back for the 7-6 win in the second frame. The senior then regroup with a 10-4 win in the super tiebreaker.

UTSA opens Southland Conference play against Texas-Pan American at 3 pm. on Saturday, Feb. 6, and then battles St. Edward’s the following afternoon.