S.A. job growth expected to increase in 2011

If the experts’ forecast for job growth proves true, UTSA students can look forward to a wealth of new career opportunities.

Experts predict that San Antonio’s job growth will produce an above-average net gain of between 2.8 and 3.2 percent in 2011, which could mean approximately 23,000 – 27,000 new jobs. This development follows a below-average job growth for San Antonio in 2010.

Based on preliminary statistics, economists expect that San Antonio’s job growth will surpass that of the entire state of Texas.

Assistant Director of Career Services Audrey Magnuson says that much of the growth can be attributed to new employers who are coming into the San Antonio area.

Career Services isn’t wasting any time capitalizing on new prospects.

“We’re working with San Antonio Economic Development and have reached out to see how we can help them with their hiring needs,” Magnuson said. “We try to be on their doorstep first to make sure they know we’re here with fresh graduates and talented UTSA students that we’d like to get into their ranks.”

In addition to military, government, and manufacturing industries – insurance, finance and call center operations are a few of the sectors expected to be part of San Antonio’s surge of new jobs.

“We are already seeing new operations, like Kohls Department Stores, with new call centers here,” Karen Rayzor, director of the College of Business Center for Professional Development, said. “Many of the new businesses are partnering with us.”

Rayzor says new companies are coming to UTSA not only in search of job candidates, but for qualified interns as well. The Center for Professional Development’s weekly publication “The Recruiter,” which features openings that pertain to the College of Business, has over 100 new internship postings.

Health care, which already boasts a recession-proof position in the job market, is expected to continue to thrive.

“We have enormous needs in terms of health care,” Dr. Alan Vince, director of University Health Professions, explains. “As a society, we have a lot of illness, so there is going to be a need for health care providers in all cities of all types.”

Students are relieved at the mention of a more promising pool of opportunities.

“That does make me feel better about my future,” junior kinesiology major Skyler Stewart said. “But at the same time, I know there’s still going to be a lot of competition.”

“Definitely for students graduating in the next few months, this is great news,” senior business major Richard Sandoval said. “A lot of people I know think that they’ll have to look in other cities to find work, so I’m sure they’ll be glad to hear that San Antonio can offer some job security.”

Magnuson reminds students that the increase in career choices does not lessen the significance of basic preparation.

“Students need to be very mindful of what they need to do to keep themselves very marketable,” Magnuson said.

“This includes getting internship experience, doing professional development and making sure that they present themselves as a viable candidate to those employers.”