Q&A: Hispanic Student Association at UTSA

Organization volunteering at San Antonio Pets Alive! Photo Courtsey of Kevin Rivera

The Hispanic Student Association is an organization on campus dedicated to making a difference. I got to sit down with senior, communication major, and president Albert Flores to talk about the organization.

Q: What is the goal of the organization?
A: To establish Hispanic students of similar background as competitive individuals during and after their college career. The club is there to provide guidance and information on issues that directly or indirectly affect Hispanic students on college campuses, to provide service to the community at large and to establish and maintain communication with past, current and future members.

Q: When are your meetings and what fundraisers have you had or will have?
A: The meetings are every Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the Harris Room. We have a fundraiser coming up on Feb 28. at Altitude Trampoline Park, 11075 I-10 #126, San Antonio, TX 78230. It is 20 dollars per individual and the fundraiser will last from 5 to 9 p.m.

Q: How much does it cost to join the organization?
A: It cost $30 to join HSA, which includes a T-shirt, scholarship participations, eligibility to run for a board position and certificate at our induction ceremony.

HSA at last sesmester’s induction cer- emony.
HSA at last sesmester’s induction cer-
emony. Photo Courtsey of Caroline Munoz

Q: Why was this organization founded?
A: Community and family. The biggest one is finding a second family.

Q: What are the requirements for being in the club?
A: We also have our 3-3-1-1. You have to complete three fundraisers, three community service, one academic and one culture to be called an active member.

Q: What are the benefits of being in the organization?
A: [Some benefits are] making new friends and being able to participate in community service events. [We are given] a sense of family on campus, able to go to events such as the Pachanga and learn more about Hispanic culture. [Many of us] are first gen and don’t have the strongest background to help us: Since we are all of a similar background, we help each other.