Colts favored to win

For the first time since 1993, when the Dallas Cowboys played the Buffalo Bills, the two number-one ranked teams in the NFL are going to meet this Sunday for Super Bowl XLIV—the New Orleans Saints and Indianapolis Colts.

The Saints have struggled through the many loosing seasons in franchise history and are going to the Super Bowl for the first time ever, but there’s no doubt that the Colts will not be an easy team to beat.

During 2009-2010, the Saints had their best season. They were 13-0, which was the best start in NFC history, until the Dallas Cowboys defeated them in the Superdome.

The Saints’ fan base has proved to be loyal to the team over the years and has vowed to have a celebration that will make Mardi Gras look like a Chuck E Cheese party if they win the Super Bowl.

Many San Antonians have a connection with the Saints because of Hurricane Katrina, which relocated the franchise headquarters to San Antonio and brought the Saints’ games to the Alamodome, the future home of Roadrunner football. Also, the Saints’ owner, Tom Benson, is known throughout San Antonio, with his many car dealerships throughout the city.

The Colts, on the other hand, seem to be forming a quiet dynasty. Similar to the San Antonio Spurs, the Colts have an approachof winning games and doing it in a meek, professional manner. Quarterback Peyton Manning has suffered much criticism and sits behind the shadow of Tom Brady when talks arise about who is the decade’s best quarterback. With another Super Bowl victory, Manning will have two championship rings against Tom Brady’s three, which will finally close the gap.

Manning grew up a Saints fan. His father, Archie Manning, was drafted by the Saints in 1971, and played ten seasons with the team. Everyone was wondering who Archie was going to root for—his former team or his son. Of course, he will be rooting for Peyton this Sunday.

Colts’ receiver, Pierre Garcon, will also have a lot to fight for this Sunday, as his family was devastated by the earthquake that hit Haiti three weeks ago.

Both teams are going to the Super Bowl with impressive offensives games. Manning’s 33 touchdown passes in the regular season were only second to Saints’ Drew Breess 34 touchdown passes, which lead the league this season. Both offenses have the ability to move the ball down the field and score quickly, and there could be a shoot-out when these teams meet.

The Colts bring more experience to the game with players such as Peyton Manning, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Gary Brackett, Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis and Jeff Saturday all of whom have Super Bowl victories.

Conversely, the Saints have Randall Gay who played in two of the four New England Patriots’ Super Bowl appearances. They also have Darren Sharper who was a rookie with the Green Bay Packers when they played the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXII.

Las Vegas odds makers have the Colts favored by 5 ½ points, even though the game will most likely be decided by the teams who has the ball last, and the team that wins the turnover battle.