Dear AJ: How to shoot your shot

Photo Credit: Andrew Salinas/@AK_4hoto7

Hello everyone! It’s finally April and you know what that means? FIESTA. FIESTA. FIESTA. While the chicken on a stick, drinking, flower crown wearing and cumbia induced activities are fun to do, they may be better if you had a boo to enjoy them with.

I am such a “love expert”, with my previous blogs being about relationships, even though I’m single (softly cries) but I want you to not be single by shooting your shot!

Yes, I am going to be talking about shooting your shot this week without being rude, creepy, or intrusive to those your shooting your shot with. Again, these are just my opinions, not everything I say or suggest is something you’ll agree with and that’s fine! I’m just doing my best to help y’all out.

First rule I strongly recommend following: DON’T SHOOT YOUR SHOT ONLINE. Yes, it may be convenient to do so and may be even better to use to disappear on if your shot misses, but don’t do it. Shooting your shot is the effort you are willing to put in for someone you like. If you are willing to go the distance and make a romantic gesture, then it should be face to face. Doing it online takes away the effort and you make it equivalent to scrolling through your Twitter feed – simply effortless.

In order to make that proper move, you need to ask first, is this person really worth it? If yes, move on to step 2. If no, then you aren’t ready to make that shot just yet.

Step 2: Think about what you want to say. If you have no idea what to say or do, take your time and really think about it. Every person is unique; using someone’s else’s shot is not the way to go. You need to fit your shot into the person you’re interested in. Make it unique.

Step 3: Build your confidence. Yes, it can be intimidating to make this effort but you’re doing it for someone that’s worth it. Find your inner courage lion and just let them roar because you are strong!

Okay, now you are ready young grasshopper but here are some things to keep in mind based on the outcome of shooting your shot:

1. Not everyone is going to be interested in you (I tried really hard to not sound blunt). That’s okay! Like the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea.
    2. Don’t continually pursue someone if they constantly tell you no. NO MEANS NO. Please be respectful of others.
    3. If someone positively responds to your shot, then go with the flow. Take your time, there’s no need to rush into things.

Well, that’s all the advice I have rolled up my sleeve. Please be careful with who you chat with!

Be on the lookout for next week’s blog, I’ll be doing a special blog on #ChangeRapeCulture, so stay tuned!

Until next week,

AJ