Florence + the Machine charms once again

Among the mass of albums being released in the upcoming weeks, Florence + the Machine’s “Ceremonials” supersedes the others with its unique yet strangely familiar presence.

“Ceremonials” echoes the same monumental sound given in Florence + the Machine’s last album “Lungs.”

The already largely popular “Shake it Out” from the new album brings about Florence’s rare larger-than-life quality of sound similar to her past hit, “The Dog Days are Over” from her album “Lungs.”

“Ceremonials” differs slightly from “Lungs” in portraying Florence Welsh’s individual talent through complex vocal strategy backed up by catchy, yet heavy, rhythms. The album offers a more positive and vulnerable side to Florence + the Machine’s musical repertoire thanks to its apparent roots in gospel. The most beautiful aspect of the band’s new album is the layout of the album itself. “Ceremonials” isn’t afraid to jump right in, starting its listeners at the peak of Welsh’s emotions. The lack of an introduction allows for listeners to get a real understanding of the emotions Welsh discusses.

With her strong, ballad-like voice, Welch pays tribute in “Lover to Lover” to great American pop divas of our time such as Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin and Donna Summer. 

In contrast to past hit “Heavy in Your Arms,” songs like “Only if for a Night” and “Never Let Me Go” offer a positive, yet elusive side to the ideas of love, loss and helplessness.

Though “Breaking Down” starts out with unrefined, almost comical rhythms that don’t exactly catch the listener’s attention right away, the song quickly turns into a mesmerizing lyrical structure blanketed by Welch’s echoing voice.

“What the Water Gave Me,” and “No Light, No Light,” use tribal drums and rhythms as the basis for each melody, similar to the backbeat used in “The Dog Days Are Over”. 

“No Light, No Light” with Welch’s commanding voice, rocks your headphones and becomes the song played on repeat day after day. Florence + the Machine has once again brought lyrical soul and diversity to the ears of fans.

As a top-selling band, Florence + the Machine remains true to the combination of rock, soul and blues that have made Welch and the band famous.

Though Florence + the Machine has become a mainstream band, as a collective album, “Ceremonials” gives each listener a personal and intimate listening experience as if Welch was singing directly to them.

“Ceremonials” continues Florence + the Machine’s appeal to a variety of musical pallets through striking rhythms and enchanting lyrics that will find their way into everyone’s  “Top 25 Most Played” playlist.