2018 UTSA crime statistics

Graphic by Paola Esquivel

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, or Clery Act, mandates UTSA to release a report disclosing security information and criminal statistics annually. The Department of Public Safety at UTSA released the 2019 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report in an email to the university on Sept. 27.

In 2018, six rapes, one aggravated assault, seven burglaries, three motor vehicle thefts, one weapons law arrest, 58 drug law arrests and 62 liquor law arrests were reported on UTSA’s Main Campus. 127 drug law violations and 36 liquor law violations were referred for disciplinary action.

Additionally, one domestic violence offense, 14 dating violence offenses and three stalking offenses of the Violence Against Women Act were reported. UTSA’s Downtown Campus reported one domestic violence offense of the Violence Against Women Act and three drug law arrests.

The email provided a link for students and faculty to view the report online accompanied with the following statement:

“The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report, coordinated by the Clery Compliance Coordinator, includes information about crime reporting, campus security, law enforcement policy, security awareness programs, crime prevention programs, drugs and alcohol policy, sex offender registration policy and weapons-on-campus policy. This report also includes statistics for years 2016, 2017 and 2018 for crimes that occurred at UTSA’s Main Campus, Downtown Campus, in certain off-campus buildings or property, and on public property within or immediately adjacent to and accessible from each campus.”

Compared to 2017, UTSA’s Main Campus decreased in the following offenses: rape, fondling, robbery, arson, drug law arrests, liquor law violations referred for disciplinary action, domestic violence and stalking. UTSA’s Main Campus increased in the following offenses: dating violence, burglary, weapons law arrests, liquor law arrests and drug law violations referred for disciplinary action. UTSA’s Downtown Campus had a decrease in robbery and fondling with an increase in drug law arrests and domestic violence.

The Clery report also provides the fire statistics for campus student housing facilities. Alvarez Residence Hall had an increase in fires resulting in $50 worth of property damage. Chaparral Village saw no change in the number of fires reported, but one fire resulted in $5,234 worth of property damage. Furthermore, Laurel Village decreased in fires from two to zero.

For more information, the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report can be viewed at: http://www.utsa.edu/publicsafety/files/2019AnnualSecurityandFireSafetyReport.pdf.