Women’s basketball starts season strong

Charlene Mass on defense. Photo by Julia Maenius

The UTSA women’s basketball team (2-0) opened up their season with a win against the Concordia University Tornadoes, 73-44. The Roadrunners would then go on to defeat the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals, 63-56.

In the game against the Cardinals, three different ‘Runners scored in double-digits. Mikayla Woods, Adryana Quezada and Charlene Mass had 12, 11 and 10, respectively, for the ‘Runners’ offense. Woods was first on the team in the assist category, claiming four. Karrington Donald led the team in rebounds with three offensive rebounds and seven defensive rebounds, while Timea Toth and Evelyn Omemmah both tied for nine rebounds to be second on the team.

On the defensive side of the ball, the ‘Runners held the Cardinals to 23 points in the first half, while forcing 12 turnovers on the night. The defense held the leading scorer for the Cardinals to only 10 points. Woods had three steals and Toth had three blocks to help anchor the defense.

The ‘Runners will continue their season with a road matchup against the University of Texas at Austin Longhorns on Nov. 14, before returning back home on Nov. 18, to square off against the University of the Southwest New Mexico Mustangs.