UTSA supports students with financial relief fund

A+Roadrunner+banner+at+UTSA.+The+university+has+released+information+regard+its+reopening+this+fall.+

Robyn Castro

A Roadrunner banner at UTSA. The university has released information regard its reopening this fall.

Ebony Purks, Staff Writer

UTSA Roadrunner Student Alumni Association (RSAA) has created the Student Emergency Fund (SEF), which offers students experiencing temporary financial insecurity some financial relief.

UTSA’s RSAA Student Emergency Fund is for students unable to meet immediate expenses because of emergency situations such as those for medications, rent, school, safety-related needs and the replacement of personal belongings due to fire or natural disaster. The fund is provided by anyone who wishes to donate, even those who are not UTSA students, faculty or staff.

“Students have a variety of financial needs and obligations,” Associate Vice President for Communications and Marketing Chief Communications Officer Joe Izbrand said. “We are hopeful that providing these grants can help ease some of the financial stress they are dealing with during these uncertain times.”

The application itself will require a detailed list of a student’s estimated monthly expenses. The fund requires proof of eligibility, so students must also provide documents to obtain grants such as current bill statements or furlough letters if applicable. Decisions regarding the allocation of money from the fund are made by the RSAA SEF committee and are made on a case-by-case basis.

Additionally, James Milliken, the UT System chancellor, has allocated $25,000 to the SEF. President Dr. Taylor Eigmy has also started an online fundraising campaign to raise an additional $25,000 for the SEF. 

“So far, more than $57,000 has been raised to assist students, including substantial gifts from Frost and the UT Chancellor’s Council,” Izbrand said.

The SEF fund will limit grants to less than $500 with the exception of outstanding circumstances, as the university is trying to ensure most applicants’ needs are met. All SEF grants will be reported to financial aid and can potentially impact financial aid awards. For access to applications for the SEF, other information and assistance, contact the SEF coordinator at [email protected] or visit the SEF website.