Eighmy says Spring 2021 classes will be ‘mostly online’ in new email sent to UTSA community

Robyn Castro

President Taylor Eighmy (center) talking to Diego Bernal (left) and Senator Jose Menendez (right) at a UTSA event. Eighmy sent out an email with updates on the Spring 2021 semester and Fall 2020 commencement on Sept. 8.

Breahna Luera, News Editor

President Taylor Eighmy sent an email to UTSA students, faculty and staff with a number of new campus updates on Sept. 8., including information about what the Spring 2021 semester will look like. 

At this point we expect that modalities for our spring courses and campus operations will look very similar to this fall—mostly online,” Eighmy said. “That said, our plans are adaptable and may adjust as we draw closer to the end of the calendar year, depending on current COVID-19 conditions at that time.” 

According to Eighmy, the modalities of each course will be listed when spring registration opens on ASAP.

Eighmy also announced that the Fall 2020 commencement ceremony on Dec. 21 will be held online, similar to the Spring 2020 commencement ceremony. 

“Students who graduated in May 2020 and those graduating this December will have an opportunity to walk in a future in-person commencement ceremony at the Alamodome,” Eighmy said. 

Several updates were announced on various campus initiatives. Eighmy stated that The Integrated Design Initiative and the Academic Success Initiative are both in beginning stages; there will be updates in the coming weeks for Preventing Sexual Assault & Misconduct, Inclusive Excellence and Enriching Campus Wellbeing initiatives; and The Equity Advocacy Initiative will be officially launched later this month. 

Other updates in the email include the continuation of construction of the Guadalupe Hall and the School of Data Science and National Security Collaboration Center; the creation of a new program that is part of UTSA’s Reaccreditation and Quality Enhancement Plan, Career FUEL, that will “enhance our students’ career readiness and marketable skills through experiential learning”; a report from the task force for Graduate Student Success for Faculty Excellence; and the welcoming of 71 new faculty members to UTSA.