Hola Fiesta!!

fiesta2010

“The party with a purpose!” That slogan aptly describes San Antonio’s biggest party.
Fiesta San Antonio is the city’s biggest annual festival dating back to 1891. It is known for its annual carnival, colorful decorations and crowded streets.

The Battle of Flowers Parade is the founding event of Fiesta and is fully planned and directed by women. To honor the heroes of the Battle of the Alamo and San Jacinto, local women met in front of the Alamo and threw flowers at one another. Now, it is the largest parade during Fiesta.

More than 3.5 million Fiesta-goers take part in the 11-day event, where they can choose from more than 100 events all around San Antonio. From German-themed events like the King William Fair to A Taste of New Orleans, each Fiesta event is entirely different from another celebrating the rich culture of San Antonio.

All events are hosted by nonprofit organizations selected by the Fiesta San Antonio Commission. Funds raised provide services to citizens throughout the year, and Fiesta is projected to generate an estimated $284 million for San Antonio.

Fiesta Carnival
Every year, the Carnival is one of the main attractions for Fiesta-goers. This Fiesta, the Carnival will be open everyday at the Alamodome in Parking Lot C. It will stay open until 11 pm daily and 12 am on Saturdays.

River Art Show
The River Art Group will have art displayed on the River Walk. Art includes a variety of paintings, jewelry, pottery and other art created by the group. The event is free. Visitors will have the opportunity meet the artists and discuss their work. It will be April 20 to 22, from 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.

NIOSA
A Night in Old San Antonio (NIOSA) will be April 20 to April 23, 5:30 pm to 10:30 pm, and Thursday is college night. La Villita is a historic part of downtown San Antonio and about 80,000 visitors attend the event. NIOSA has more than 240 decorated food and drink booths and has entertainment stages throughout the 15 heritage-themed areas. Advanced tickets are $10 or $12 at the gate.

Fiesta Gartenfest
The Beethoven Maennerchor is a Fiesta event with a German twist. There will be German music, food, drinks and entertainment. The dance band performs until midnight, and there is a 50-piece concert band as well as other performers. The Gartenfest will be located at 422 Pereida St. Admission is $5.

Battle of Flowers Parade
The Battle of Flowers Parade is the founding event of Fiesta and dates back to 1891. It was a parade to remember the heroes of the Alamo and to remember the Battle of San Jacinto where Texas won its independence from Mexico. The parade includes bands from local high schools. The parade begins at 11:50 am, and the route begins on Broadway St. and ends at Santa Rosa. Tickets can be purchased at the Fiesta Store on 2611 Broadway.

King William Fair
The King William Fair takes place in the King William Historic District—the first historic district in Texas. As you pass restored Victorian mansions, there will be live music, dance groups and a small parade. The fair takes place April 24 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.. It is $5 for adults, and children under 12 are free. 

Fiesta Flambeau
The Flambeau Parade is a night parade that features floats, costumes and props fully lit by different color lights. More than half a million parade-goers attend the parade each year. This year’s theme is “Legends of Music.” The University of Texas Longhorn Band will lead the parade. Tickets for seating will be available at the Fiesta Store at 2611 Broadway; however, there is plenty of free public viewing for the parade.  The parade is April 24 and begins at 7:45 p.m.