Newest Fish in the Sea: Loner Kid No More

Building friendships as a freshman at UTSA

Laynie Clark, Assistant Arts & Life Editor

Every freshman shares the concerns of making friends in college. Most are scared that they will not make any, but I am here to reassure you that you will make friends. There are many factors that can help aid your adventure in obtaining new friends in college:

Open Your Door

If you are dorming, which most freshmen are, then you should consider leaving your door open whenever you are feeling social. By doing this, you are giving off a nonverbal signal that you are in the mood to socialize, allowing people to stop and chat. This is especially useful to do at the beginning of the semester because your neighbors are more than likely also looking for new friends. 

Organizations

I cannot stress this one enough: your golden ticket to meeting your best friends. Scroll through the different organizations on RowdyLink and make a list of your favorites. Then, reach out to the organizations and consider attending meetings to see if they are a good fit. If you find an organization that passes the vibe check, then consider taking the steps necessary to become a member. There, you will find like-minded people and make connections that could very well last a lifetime. 

Attend Socials

UTSA has a wide variety of fun and exciting social events that cater to the interests of a diverse student body. As appealing as it may sound to stay in your dorm and cuddle up with a good book, get up and force yourself to go to these different events. There will be people everywhere, which means lots of people to become besties with. All in all, it is always good to get out of your dorm even if you don’t end up meeting your lifetime buddy.

Go Out with Roommate(s)

It is true that not all roommates are bound to get along, but perhaps reach out and make an effort to get to know them. Befriending your roommates might make the shared living experience run smoother, and it might even allow you a wider circle of possible friends. Meeting your roommate’s friends is a simple way to put yourself out there because you are already comfortable around your roommate, therefore it is not as intimidating to meet their friends. 

Study Groups

Many courses offer supplemental instruction study sessions, which are proven to increase student success in the course. By attending these sessions, you are bound to meet fellow freshmen with similar interests or majors. When, inevitably, the course intensifies and you struggle to stay afloat, a study buddy may be the key to easing your anxieties. 

Making friends is the key to surviving college. While it may seem intimidating, it is not nearly as bad as you are making it out to be. Put yourself out there and people will love you more than you realize. This is the time in your life where you are supposed to meet the most memorable people, so what are you doing? Get up and go find your new best friend.