Crossing into uncharted territory

Sofia Garcia, Editor-in-Chief

There are these brief moments right after you wake up in the morning when you almost struggle to remember who you are and why you’re here. It’s like you’re completely void of any grasp on reality — and then your responsibilities come mercilessly crashing down on you. There are things to do, and people to see and the weight of the day is sitting happily on your chest. But there is something oddly comforting about this seemingly daunting occurrence — you know the exact plan down to a tee and there is no question about it. It all makes sense. 

But now you’re a senior in college who is about to graduate, willingly crossing over into uncharted territory. Those brief moments right after you wake up are no longer followed by the comfort of being in the know; your plans are plagued by uncertainty. The act of hiding behind the simplicity of your routines has come to a screeching halt.

If you find yourself trying to ignore the anxieties that accompany your future, know that there is validity in that. This part of your life is entirely unprecedented and it is arguably a rite of passage to be afraid of what comes next. None of us are alone as we step into the unknown.

Being a senior myself, I don’t have any idea how to let go of the pre-graduation jitters, but I do know that we all feel an underlying sense of solidarity. Even if you have a job laid out for you or you’ve made your plans, life after graduation still has an element of surprise weaved into it. For those who are moving into this next phase of their life with no direction, it is okay. It is completely okay to not know how to navigate job interviews, higher education applications or anything in between. No one actually knows what they are doing — if they say they do, they’re probably lying through their teeth. 

All I know at this point is to take it one step at a time: finish your final projects, take your last tests and remember that this time is sacred. Enjoy your graduation and celebrate yourself; you deserve to be happy about completing your undergraduate degree. You have all the time in the world to find your next endeavor and there is no need to rush your decisions. Your life is waiting for you.