UTSA Family Fest celebrates students

Student Activities hosted the 3rd annual Family Fest on Oct. 10 at UTSA’s downtown campus. This event was free and offered many resources to help both the community and students.

Lunch was also provided. Students and guests picked up a ticket at the Student Activities booth, where they could redeem the tickets for a hot dog, drink, chips and popcorn.

“We try to provide things that will benefit the community and students, programs that they would not ordinarily get to take part in at the downtown campus like health screening,” said Keith A. Pilger, student activities downtown program coordinator, said.

Pilger explains that these types of events are organized to attract not only evening and weekend students but also non-traditional students and families who do not get to participate in such activities.

“We have all types of organizations, from the Greek Life, the campus activity board to student health services, the UTSA Police Department and the campus Recreation center,” Pilger said.

One participating group, Texas Mentor, reached out for individuals who can offer support and services in their homes to those with specific needs such as disabilities or to those who have been involved in the juvenile justice system.

UTSA’s Counseling Services, another participant, communicated to families at the event that no concern is considered too small to the counseling professionals.

The San Antonio Council of Drug and Alcohol Abuse and the Prevention Resource Center provided vital information on overcoming the use of tobacco and finding help for drug and alcohol abuse.

“We like to call this an event of Edutainment, where we both educate and entertain others,” Pilger said.

In addition to the information booths, the event offered activities for children: face painting, balloon art, a basketball shoot and a playground.