San Antonio Museum of Art Reopens Latin American Popular Art Exhibit

Latin American Folk Art collection reopened and renamed

Riley Carroll, Arts & Life Editor

Formerly known as the “Latin American Folk Art Collection,” the “Latin American Popular Art Exhibit” inside the San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA) has reopened and rebranded.

This new title provides a more faithful translation of the original Spanish term for this genre (arte popular),” the SAMA website explains. “The term ‘popular art’ in this context also encompasses a broader range of Latin American and Spanish material culture, taking into consideration the remarkable size and diversity of SAMA’s Latin American art collection.”

Open since Sept. 2, the “Latin American Popular Art” exhibit displays paintings, sculptures, jewelry, clothing and more hailing from various Latin American countries.

“This installation features some of SAMA’s best-known works of popular art, and incorporates interpretive strategies that reflect contemporary discussions about this field of Latin American art,” the SAMA Associate Curator of Latin American Art, Lucía Abramovich Sánchez said. “Our hope is that this installation will inspire and educate our visitors about popular art, and will encourage partnerships with artists and scholars working with these kinds of objects.”

For more information about the reopening of the exhibit, visit their website at https://www.samuseum.org/artwork/exhibition/popularart/. Student discounts are available with a valid student ID.