Romo discusses tier-one status and master plan

40 years

The University of Texas at San Antonio celebrated its 40th Anniversary on Oct. 15 during President Romo’s Scholarship and Awards Dinner at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel.

President Ricardo Romo said that dinner’s main function was to raise funds for student scholarships.

“If we don’t raise money for scholarships to bring in great students we just fall behind,” Romo said.

Romo explained that most of the event’s supporters did not attend UTSA.

“We want the whole city to become involved in supporting UTSA. This university does not belong to me or anyone else. It belongs to the whole city,” Romo said.

Another purpose of the evening was to honor UTSA students, especially those who have excelled academically.

“We try to feature our students at this event like our band (The Alex Sutherlin Band),” Dr. Harriett Romo said.

The students that Romo mentioned were Jonathan Nomamiukor, Hilda Moeller, Dana Mecke, Rafael Moras and David Gonzalez.

Romo said that UTSA is going to keep moving forward even after it earns tier-one status.

“There is no stopping us–great universities like UTSA have to keep moving, ” Romo said.

Romo explained that Tier-one status is about academics.

“Great faculty and students are the key components. Things like laboratories and footballs are extras that will certainly help us achieve Tier-one status,” Romo said.

Romo explained that is building a tier one or Premier Public Research university is crucial for everyone in San Antonio.

“Our mission at UTSA, to prepare our students to be successful not only for a semester, not only for the 4 or 5 years they are in college, but to be successful for the rest of their lives,” Romo said.

Romo explains that the best way to reach tier-one status is to break down goals into manageable five to seven year chunks.

Assistant Vice President of Development Eric Gentry said that his goal at UTSA is find the best method to provide the most opportunities for the most students by helping to secure scholarships to students.

“Tonight is about thanking our gracious supporters for their support of the years,” Gentry said.

Gentry explains that UTSA administration is looking to implement scholarships to encourage undergraduate students to stay at UTSA and pursue their graduation education.

“Those that want to go to grad school we want to make sure they have the ability to with financial assistance,” Gentry said.

Gentry explains that it is not hard to find fans of higher education.

“Supporters understand that our students are their future employees,” Gentry said.

Romo also presented Texas Legislature Joe Straus, Speaker of the House, with the Tom C. Frost Award.

Straus was given the award for his political contributions to the UTSA’s expansion toward tier-one status.