UTSA adds two to men’s basketball recruiting class

FinalissueCoach.jpg

UTSA has announced two additional signings to their 2007-2008 recruiting class.

Antoine Dade will look to fill the depth at center, and Omar Johnson will look to compete for the vacant point guard spot left after Kurt Attaway graduated and Aldric Reynolds transferred.

Dade is a 6’8″ junior college transfer from Iowa Western Community College. The center averaged 12.8 ppg and 6.4 rpg for the season last year while shooting 51.6 percent from the field.

“He’s a big body with a great amount of athleticism and great hands who can really run the floor. He can really score with his face to the basket and back to the basket. He’s a great rebounder. Really defends well,” Head Coach Brooks Thomspon said.

Johnson is a 5’7″ point guard junior college transfer from Barton Community College. The point guard averaged 17.3 ppg while shooting 47 percent from long distance. Johnson also averaged 6.3 apg and 2.8 spg.

“He’s very quick. He’s an unbelievable leader. He’s a tremendous player. He understands how to play and lead. He can also shoot the 3-pointer at a high percentage,” Thompson said.

Johnson was signed in addition to earlier signee Devin Gibson, a freshman from Houston.

“We recruited them both because they can play together. They’re both ready to play right away,” Thompson said.

Also joining the UTSA men’s basketball roster for the 2007-2008 season are Matt DeWaal, a freshman from California, Kevin Jackson, a junior college transfer, and Joey Shank, a junior college transfer.

Dade and Johnson will look to replace Attaway and Dwain Hall, the two seniors on this season’s team.

“We’re really excited about being able to sign the both of them. They’re both high caliber players and high caliber people. We’re replacing our two seniors with two guys who are ready to play right away