Women’s tennis knocks off Sam Houston State, falls to Stephen F. Austin in Southland action

Kavya Menon

Over the weekend, the women’s tennis team welcomed a few Southland Conference opponents that hail from the piney woods of east Texas.

On Saturday, the Sam Houston State Bearkats made the trek from Huntsville to San Antonio.

The Bearkats won two of the three doubles contests, but the Roadrunners pulled out the victory by winning the singles round.

The Roadrunner combo of Stefanie Peana/Micaela Silva defeated the Bearkat combo of Nadia Dubyanskaya/Tatyana Postnikova, 9-8.

For the Bearkats, the combination of Sheridan Currie/Cally Woerner defeated the Roadrunners’ Vivian Carrillo/Kavya Menon, 8-0. The other victorious Bearkat combination was Imke Jagau/Natalie Siera Petaia. The two Bearkats outlasted the Roadrunner pairing of Caroline Dedering/Katie Ottenbreit, 9-8.

In the singles round, Peana defeated Sam Houston’s Jagau 6-0 and 6-1. Silva knocked off Postnikova in straight sets, both by a score of 6-4.

Menon topped Currie, 6-1 and 6-4 and Dedering clinched a victory for the Roadrunners by knocking off Dubyanskaya in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-3.

Ottenbreit and Mariel Maffezzolli fell short of victory in the singles matches as the Bearkats’ Anrinette Botha topped Ottenbreit, and Petaia knocked off Maffezzolli.

In spite of the two defeats in the singles round, the Roadrunners took the team victory over the Bearkats.

Sunday marked the final home match for the Roadrunners. Their opponent for the final home meeting was the Ladyjacks of Stephen F. Austin.

The Roadrunners had their work cut out for them going up against a Ladyjacks team that entered action Sunday at 18-4 overall and 6-4 in the Southland. The Roadrunners countered with a 5-11 record overall and a 2-8 record in Southland play.

The Ladyjacks took two of three doubles matches with Menon and Carrillo the lone Roadrunner pairing to claim victory.

Menon and Carrillo topped the Ladyjacks’ Andreea Enica and Paola Montuenga 8-4, but it wasn’t enough for the Roadrunners to claim a point in the doubles round.

In the singles round, the Roadrunners would win only one match when Menon topped Alice Pacaut, 6-2 and 7-5.

That proved to be the Roadrunners’ only point on the day as the Ladyjacks journeyed back to Nacogdoches with a 6-1 victory.

The Roadrunners fell to 5-12 overall, 2-8 in Southland action.