Never have I ever…

Every student has at least one irrational fear, whether it’s getting an F on their first exam of the semester or giving a presentation for a class. Don’t worry, it’s not because students are incapable of doing well. Students’ irrational fears are caused by the fight-or-flight response. 

The fight-or-flight response, according to Discovery Health, is a chain reaction in the brain that starts with a stressful stimulus and ends with the release of chemicals that cause a racing heart, fast-breathing and energized muscles. Fear is unavoidable, so blame it on your sensory cortex.

Senior English major Alex Nasis says, “Never have I ever jumped out of an airplane. [As I was] prepping and buttoning up, I just chickened out.”

Nasis may have missed his opportunity to parachute jump, but George H.W. Bush completed his sky dive on his 85th birthday.

Sophomore communication major Caitlyn Silvas would also like to parachute jump.

“Never have I ever gone sky diving. I’m planning on it, probably during the summer with a couple of friends,” Silvas said.

Silvas may experience fight or flight, but hopefully she’ll complete the event as George H.W. Bush did.

Senior pre-nursing major Candis Tarawally says, “Never have I ever eaten pig feet, because it looks real and because of what it is.”

Did you know pig feet are not only   served in the U.S., but also in Ireland? In Ireland, pig feet are called crubeens. Although pig feet may be an acquired taste, people still continue to enjoy this dish regardless of its appearance. 

Are you afraid of being “wack”? Junior accounting major Jacory Brasfield says, “Never have I ever been wack.” He continues with the response “because I’m fresh.”

In Brasfield’s case, his colloquialism with the use of “wack” and “fresh” are words that some students use to describe characteristics of a person. “Wack” translates to unattractive and “fresh” translates to being attractive.”

Senior English major Jason Martinez says, “Never have I ever kicked somebody while they were down, because I’ve had it done to me and it sucks.” He gives an example about ending a relationship and running into his ex weeks later and seeing her with another person at a place he frequently visits.

What if you fell in front of your class? Would you play it off or just sit there? Junior criminal justice and psychology major Destiney Hicks says, “Never have I ever fallen in front of a class. I’ve tripped, but didn’t completely hit the ground.”

People often have trouble with big shoe soles or untied shoelaces. Your fear of falling may increase your chances of falling.

Senior kinesiology major Amanda Walker says, “Never have I ever forgot to check the mirror before I leave the house, because I have to make sure my eyebrows look good and my lips are moisturized.”