Events: Week of Jan 29

Tuesday, Jan. 29

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Aphrodite and the Gods of Love”

The San Antonio Museum of Art (200 W. Jones St.) presents“Aphrodite and the Gods of Love,” an exhibit featuring 125 statues, vases,jewelry and other valuables from the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Admissionis $3-$8.

2 p.m. Exhibit: Justin Randolph Thompson: “Meet Me In theBottoms”

Blue Star Contemporary Art Center (116 Blue Star) presents“Meet Me In the Bottoms,” an exhibit that highlights the issue of workersaffected in the shoeshine trade. Admission is $3-$5.

Wednesday, Jan. 30

2 p.m. Exhibit: “Dirty Dozen”

Blue Star Contemporary Art Center (116 Blue Star) presents“Dirty Dozen,” an exhibit featuring work from San Antonio and Houston artists.Admission is $3-$5.

8 p.m. Poetry Night: “Coffeehouse Poetry: Oveous”

The UCPC presents “Coffeehouse Poetry: Oveous,” an open-micnight for aspiring poets and those who love poetry. The event will be held inthe UC Ski Lodge (Main Campus).

Thursday, Jan. 31

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Tal Palo Tal Astilla Artists”

UTSA Art Gallery (Main Campus) presents “Tal Palo TalAstilla Artists,” an exhibit that chronicles the work of artists working withinand outside the U.S. and Mexico Border. Admission is free.

12 p.m. Exhibit: “Transitios”

Artpace (445 N. Main Ave.) presents “Transitios,” a groupshow that highlights on the themes of culture, economy and miscommunication.Artists for the exhibit include Ricardo Cuevas, Miguel Monroy, Jose Antonio andmembers of the Changarrito Project.

6 p.m. Exhibit: “Borrowed People/Constructed Places”

Blue Star Contemporary (116 Blue Star) presents “BorrowedPeople/Constructed Places,” an exhibit featuring work from Anne Leighton, LibbyRowe and Kris Sanford. The exhibit is featured in the UTSA Satellite Space.Admission is free for students.

Friday, Feb. 1

7:30 p.m. Creative Writing Reading Series: Levi Romero

The Creative Writing Program of UTSA is proud to welcome theNew Mexico Centennial Poet, Levi Romero as part of its “Creative WritingReading Series.” Romero, author of “In the Gathering of Silence,” will readwork from his newly released collection of poems titled, “A Poetry ofRemembrance: New and Rejected Works.” The event is free to the public and willbe held in the UC Harris Room (UC 2.212).

9 p.m. UCinema Night: Wreck-It-Ralph

­­­In the flick, Ralph, voiced by John C. Reilly, seeks tofind his purpose in the video game world. The feature will be shown in theRetama Auditorium (UC 2.02.02), admission is free for all UTSA students.

Saturday, Feb. 2

9 a.m. Exhibit: “Art in the Garden”

The San Antonio Botanical Garden (555 Funston) presents “Artin the Garden,” an outdoor installation that features work from members of theTexas Sculpture Group. Admission is $5-$8.

2 p.m. Theatre: “The Cat in the Hat & Other Tales”

The Dr. Seuss classic is back in this rendition of “The Catin the Hat” at the Magik Theatre (420 S. Alamo). Director, Katie Mitchellbrings the tale onto the stage in the form of a one-act play. Tickets are$9-$10.

Sunday, Feb. 3

10 a.m. Exhibit: “Fiesta, Fete, Festival”

San Antonio’s past is celebrated throughout this exclusiveexhibit that commemorates the history of the annual city event, known as“Fiesta.” The McNay Art Museum (6000 N. New Braunfels Ave.) presents “Fiesta,Fete, Festival” as part of its Tobin Collection. Admission is $5-$10.