The Roadrunners hot streak cooled down by the Cajuns

Sports-baseball(will)

Coming off of their first four game sweep in five years, the ‘Runners were able to continue their success against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi last Wednesday. The ‘Runners scored 19 runs on 22 hits as they beat the Islanders 19-4. Shortstop RJ Perucki led the team with three hits and seven RBI’s. Pitcher Nolan Trabinino relieved John Anderson in the fourth inning and managed to pick up the win for the Roadrunners. Trabinino pitched five innings, allowed three hits and no runs.
After picking up their fifth consecutive win, the Roadrunners traveled to Lafayette, La. to play a weekend series against the University of Lousiana-Lafayette Ragin’ Cajuns (ULL). The Ragin’ Cajuns stopped all the momentum UTSA had gained from winning five straight games. The Ragin’ Cajuns opened up the weekend with an 18-6 victory over UTSA. UTSA’s pitching struggled in the loss. Starting pitcher Michael Kraft only lasted 2.1 innings and allowed three runs on five hits. Reliever Jordan Pacheco allowed six runs in only 1.1 innings of work. Relievers Doug Sefcik III and Matt Walker allowed nine runs in a combined 3 innings pitched.
In game two against ULL, the ‘Runners were able to take an early 3-0 lead but the Ragin’ Cajuns were too much for UTSA to handle. The Cajuns scored one run in the second and also in the third, which tied the game. ULL went on to score six more runs. The ‘Runners tried to comeback by scoring three runs in the top of the seventh but ULL was able to beat the Roadrunners 9-6. UTSA was plagued by three errors, two of which led to ULL runs.
The final game against the Ragin’ Cajuns was a defensive struggle. ULL scored one run in the first inning but UTSA was able to tie the game in the second inning. ULL took a 2-1 lead after they picked up a run in the third inning. The score remained the same heading into the top of the ninth. UTSA’s Daniel Rockett was able to get on base and to make his way to third but the ‘Runners weren’t able to get him home and fell to the Ragin’ Cajuns for the third consecutive game.
The Roadrunners weren’t able to transfer their offensive momentum into the series against the Ragin’ Cajuns. The ‘Runners put up 40 runs on 62 hits last weekend against Air Force but were only able to score 14 runs with 24 hits against ULL. While the Roadrunners were swept, Head Coach Jason Marshall wanted the ball club “at [their] best when it gets down to the end so that means keeping the beginning in perspective. I think our guys have high expectations this year. They know they have what it takes to be a good ball club,”
UTSA (5-3) will try to get back on track when they face UT-Pan American Tuesday at 4 pm at Roadrunner Field.