Local calendar of events for the week of 9-24-13

Tuesday, September 24

8 p.m. Comedy: The Oxymorons

The Oxymorons will be performing improv comedy at the River Center Comedy Club (849 E. Commerce). The Oxymorons have been performing improv in San Antonio for over 20 years. $15 admission, 2 item minimum. For more information, visit rivercitycomedyclub.com

Wednesday, September 25

7:30 p.m. Theater: “Othello”

The department of English and The UTSA Friends of Shakespeare will host the Actors from the London Stage as they perform Shakespeare’s “Othello” at the Arts Building Recital Hall on UTSA’s main campus. Tickets may be purchased online on the English department’s website. Student admission is $10 and general admission is $18. Performances will be held September 25, 27 and 28. Visit colfa.utsa.edu/English/Shakespeare.

Thursday, September 26

7 p.m. UCPC Open Mic Night

The Ski Lodge (1.01.00) on UTSA’s main campus will host an open mic night. Comedians, poets, dancers, singers and the talented are all welcome to the open mic night to showcase Roadrunner talent. Students will have a five minute time limit and food and drinks will also be available. For more information, contact Tabitha Byrne Smith at 458-6044.

Friday, September 27

6 p.m. Tapping Texan Culture

The Institute of Texan Cultures (801 César E. Chavez Blvd) will host an event for their “Made in Texas” exhibit with Texas beer and food. The event will be from 6-8 p.m. and there is a suggested donation of $15. For more information, visit texancultures.com.

Saturday, September 28

10 a.m. Convention: Monster Con 2013

Monster Con (4522 Fredricksburg Rd.), San Antonio’s first horror convention, will boast horror inspired artwork from local San Antonio artists, as well as a zombie fashion show and costume contest. Special guest Victor Miller, writer of “Friday the 13th will attend.” The event will run from Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. and Sunday, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, visit monster-con.com

9 p.m. San Antonio Music Award Showcase

Thirty-five bands and DJs will be performing at 7 different venues for the San Antonio Music Award Showcase. Advance purchase of wristbands is $5, $8 at the door. Wristbands grant access to all shows.For full list of participating venues and for more information,