Roadrunners making strides in first two golf tournaments

Photo Credit: Jeff Huehn/ UTSA Athletics

On Wednesday, Sept. 11 the UTSA women’s golf team placed eighth overall at the “Mo”Morial Golf Tournament. Playing at the Traditions Golf Club in College Station, Texas, UTSA shot a 304-310-308 for a cumulative score of 922 as a team.

“It was a good place to start,” UTSA women’s golf head coach Carrie Parnaby said. “Our tournament schedule is really tough this year. Our goal is to make it through the NCAA regionals and finals, so we try to play the toughest schedule we could get.”

Sophomore Brogan Townend tied for 17th place, leading the team with nine birdies and a seven-over-par 223 (78-73-72) finish for the final day.

“We wanted to do better, but we got a lot of positives to take from the tournament,” Townend said.

Senior Fabiola Arriaga added eight birdies throughout the tournament and finished with an eight-over-par score 224 (71-76-77) and overall tied for 20th.

Freshman Aimee Ponte finished with a 237 (78-80-79) and tied for 47th place. Senior Taylor Newlin finished with a score of 238 (77-81-80) and senior Chelsea Bretcher shot a 246 (79-86-81).

This season UTSA has big goals they plan on accomplishing.

“Last year was the first year we kept the top-50 national ranking. That’s one of our goals,” Parnaby said. “We always want to win the conference championship. We have a great group of girls and I’m really proud of them being representatives of UTSA. They’re great students and just great people to be around.”

On Sunday, Sept. 22 UTSA posted a 14th-place finish in Knoxville, Tenn. in the Mercedes-Benz Collegiate Championship. Arriaga and Newlin tied for 39th place to pace the Roadrunners at the Cherokee Country Club. Arriaga shot a two-over par 73 on the final day, while Newlin finished with a 75.

The 36-hole tournament was cut-short by 18 holes after heavy rains halted play on Saturday, Sept. 21.

The next tournament is a three-day event beginning on Sunday, Oct. 13. The Betsy Rawls Longhorns Invitational will be held in Austin, Texas.