Deciding the future: students take shuttles to vote

Students at UTSA made sure their voices were heard during the recent early-voting period for primary elections.

The organization MOVE (Mobilize, Organize, Vote, Empower) UTSA tabled with the Student Government Association (SGA) to sign up students for a free shuttle ride to the nearest polling site at the John Igo Library. Shuttles ran on Feb. 25 and 26, picking up students at 7 p.m. in front of the Convocation Center.

Over the course of those two days, members of various student organizations such as the UTSA GOP and the National Organization for Women rode the free shuttle to cast their votes.

The shuttle was intended to provide students living on-campus, who may not have convenient transportation, the ability to access a polling site.

Students who did not find the shuttles to be convenient and wanted to vote will have a second chance in the midterm elections for which UTSA will serve as a polling site.

Senior biology and psychology major Bela Kriger was one of the students who rode the shuttle to early vote. “The shuttles were a great step in the right direction.

“The excitement and interest in voting can only continue to rise as these kind of events become more accessible and publicized to students,” she said.