Overrated/Underrated of February

(arts) overrated (jennifer

In the Media

Overrated: Justin Bieber

Self-destruction wasn’t cute for Amanda Bynes, and it doesn’t fit Justin Bieber any better. Nowadays, there doesn’t seem to be a Web page without Bieber’s antics as a top story. Several run-ins with the law in 2013 have forced Bieber’s image to change as drastically as Miley Cyrus’ image. From an assault charge to a DUI, Bieber began 2014 with his tatted-self plastered across the tabloids.

Underrated: Adam Driver

Adam Driver, who plays Adam Sackler on HBO’s “Girls,” is the first actor cast in the new “Star Wars Episode VII” movie. As Adam Sackler, Driver plays an inappropriate and unapologetic actor who makes audiences hate and adore him. However, what “Girls” fans may have missed is that Driver has been making strides in films with “Inside Llewyn Davis” and “Lincoln.” His upcoming roles include “This is Where I Leave You” beside Tina Fey and Jason Bateman; “While We’re Young” beside Ben Stiller, Amanda Seyfried and Naomi Watts; and Jeff Nichols’s sci-fi drama, “Midnight Run.” With a role in J.J. Abrams’ upcoming “Star Wars” movie, Adam Driver should soon be a media sensation.

Dynamic Duo

Overrated: Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski

Both retired figure skaters, Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski acted as figure skating fashion police for the 2014 Sochi Olympics. While Lipinski won gold in the 1998 Olympics, Weir came up short with no medal in both the 2006 and 2010 Olympics. Both have taken NBC by storm as figure skating analysts during the broadcast at Sochi. Although it is nice to see that there is life after retirement for young figure skaters, the Today Show seemed to feed their desperation for stardom all the way to an Oscars hosting gig for Access Hollywood.

Underrated: Seth Meyers and Fred Armisen

Although he will still be “keeping the 90s alive” in “Portlandia,” Fred Armisen joined “Late Night with Seth Meyers” as bandleader. The relationship between Armisen and Meyers has already revealed the nature of the show with jokes from Meyers to Armisen on the sidelines and possible character spoofs from Armisen suggested by Meyers. With a familiar face from “SNL,” Meyers should comfortably transition into his new hosting gig with Armisen reminiscent of Conan O’Brien’s connection with Andy Richter on his show.

Oscars 2014

Overrated: Jennifer Lawrence’s Performance in “American Hustle”

Even with the admiration from “Hunger Games” fans, it’s difficult to grasp that Jennifer Lawrence is receiving much attention for her performance in David O. Russell’s “American Hustle.” Although she deserved her win at last year’s Oscars for “Silver Linings Playbook,” this year’s supporting actress nomination lacks merit. Lawrence did not hold much screen time in the 70s political-crime thriller and on camera did not invigorate the audience. Yet, she was a favorite pick for the win.

Underrated: Joaquin Phoenix’s Performance in “Her”

Even with Joaquin Phoenix’s beautiful performance as Theodore Twombly, a lonely, socially awkward divorceé who falls in love with a computer system, Phoenix received no Oscar nomination for best actor. His character seldom interacts with other people, but Phoenix is able to show a variety set of emotions when speaking to “Samantha,” his IOS system, voiced by Scarlett Johansson. Phoenix has been nominated before for his role in “Gladiator” and “Walk the Line,” but he duly deserved another nomination for his performance in “Her.”

Game App

Overrated: Flappy Bird

Tapping the smartphone screen endlessly to fly a pixelated bird through endless spaces between Mario-like tubes doesn’t sound like much fun. Yet, it’s been completely addicting for most individuals. Although the game is great to whip out when standing in line at the post office, it perpetuates boredom in other cases.

Underrated: Tiny Thief

Tiny Thief is a puzzle-like adventure that follows a small thief who must outwit corrupt kings, sheriffs and evil wizards to restore order in the kingdom. In order to pass each level, the user must find all the hidden items and complete a task without being detected. Although early levels allow the user to obtain hints anytime, they are only given once every 24 hours in the more challenging levels. The game is enjoyable with its simple design and mind-boggling puzzles.