Staying on track for graduation, spring 2014

College graduation is a time of excitement and celebration of your scholastic achievement, and I’m sure we are all counting down the days until the big day arrives. Having to worry about a million things already, the last thing you would want to stress about is the hectic preparation process. This checklist is meant to make the college graduation process a little easier and allow your big day to be everything you dreamed it would be.

Apply

In order to graduate you must have submitted your application for graduation. If you have completed at least 90 undergraduate level credit hours then you are eligible to apply for graduation. Make sure to apply before the graduation deadlines. For deadline and application information, visit utsa.edu/registrar/graduation.

Grad Fest

The UTSA Alumni Association hosts Grad Fest for all graduating students each fall and spring semester. At Grad Fest, current students can order a cap and gown, announcements, take a personal graduation portrait, order a diploma frame and also purchase their UTSA ring. Come to Grad Fest prepared with a list of items to order that are within your budget, and try not to get sucked into ordering things that you don’t really need.

Spring 2014 Grad Fest will be held at the Downtown Campus, Frio Street Building on Wednesday, March 19 from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. and at UTSA Main Campus, outside the bookstore on Thursday, March 20 from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m.

Meet With Your Academic Advisor

It is wise to meet with your academic advisor to ensure that you’ve met all graduation requirements by your intended date of graduation. Refer to the UTSA Undergraduate Catalog to locate information regarding your degree requirements.

Transcripts

If you have attended another college or university, send in your final transcripts so UTSA has them on file. It may also be a good decision to grab a few copies of your UTSA transcript as well. Having copies ready to hand out to possible employers, volunteer programs or internships will save you a lot of time, money and trouble in the end. You may request transcripts online or through the Financial Aid Office and Enrollment Services Center located at the Main Campus in the JPL.

Verify Diploma Information

Update your address and check your diploma name on ASAP to ensure that your diploma name appears as it should and that it is sent to the correct address.

Clear All Holds

Transcripts and diplomas will only be sent out to students with no obligations to the university. Log onto ASAP to view your holds.

University Career Center

According to Karen Ivy, Assistant Director of Student Services of the University Career Center, the Career Center offers support, practice and guidance.Be sure to stop by Career Services
to get assistance in preparing resumes, job searches, graduate school applications, interview techniques and more. The tools and guidance the Career Center offers just may be a lifesaver after you graduate.

Commencement Ceremony

All Commencement Ceremonies will be held at the Alamodome.

Ceremony One will be held Saturday, May 10 at 10 a.m. for students in the College Education & Human Development and College of Sciences.

Ceremony Two will be held Saturday, May 10 at 4 p.m. for students in the College Architecture, College of Business and College of Public Policy.

Ceremony Three will be held Sunday, May 11 at 2 p.m. for students in the College Engineering, College of Liberal & Fine Arts and University College.

According to the UTSA website, heavy traffic congestion is anticipated due to ongoing road construction in the Alamodome/Downtown areas. Families are strongly advised to arrive at least one hour prior to the start of the ceremony.

To avoid overcrowding at the commencement ceremonies, there will be a limited number of guest tickets for each graduating candidate. All guests must have a ticket to enter the ceremony. Be sure to review instructions and pay careful attention to pick up deadlines. For the most current information, periodically visit the Graduation & Commencement website.

Announcements and Thank-You Cards

Invite all of your closest friends and family members to share your special day with you by mailing out announcements. During Grad Fest, you have the opportunity to order announcements. However, if you are lacking the funds necessary for expensive invitations, consider creating your own. You may also want to consider printing them at the UPS Store located at the Main Campus in the UC for a cheaper price. Also, consider sending out thank-you notes to anyone who helped you the most during your college career, to those who gave you a graduation gift and to those who simply showed up to witness you walk across the stage in honor of your achievements.

For more information regarding graduation requirements, visit utsa.edu/registrar/graduation.