Summertime Bucket list

Arts(summer fun-pool)-marcusconnolly

First, if you haven’t already, take a 12-hour nap, stay in your pajamas for a day and binge watch your favorite show on Netflix. Then, regardless of work and summer school, make some time for these five fun things to do in and around San Antonio.

Big Bend National Park:

Take a trip across Texas and spend a few nights under the stars. Big Bend National Park is something every Texan – native or not – should experience. Living in the city, you can get used to seeing streetlights instead of stars, and Big Bend is the perfect remedy. To plan a trip go to visitbigbend.com for all your lodging, food and activity needs.

Crawdads:

If you haven’t been to Crawdads Sports Bar and Grill (12333 West Ave) and are a fan of classic Cajun seafood, then a visit is a summertime must. They’ve gained some notoriety for their Saturday crawfish boils. For some of the tastiest crawfish – complete with sausage, potatoes and corn on the cob – Crawdads is the place to go. For the full menu, go to crawdadspourhouse.com.

Dollar Movie Theater:

Yes, summer fun sometimes involves spending some major cash. Luckily, San Antonio offers hand-picked flicks priced at $1 at the Cinemark Movies 16 theater (5063 NW Interstate Loop 410). It’s a fun place to go with some friends without breaking the bank. While the movies aren’t the most current blockbusters, Cinemark 16 screens great films, old and new. Check cinemark.com for movie listings and show times.

River City Rock Fest:

Check out the mega concert of the summer coming to the AT&T Center (1 AT&T Center Pkwy.) on May 24. River City Rock Fest will feature four stages with sets packed full of musicians. Big names include Seether, Deftones and Kid Rock. Openers include Shattered Sun, Lonely Horse, Texas and Black Stone Cherry. For concert tickets and information, visit rivercityrockfest.com.

New Braunfels:

Visit our neighbors to the northeast, and take your pick of fun activities. For thrill seekers, take a day trip and explore Schlitterbahn Waterpark. For music lovers, spend an evening at Gruene Hall. And for those who just need some time away from it all to relax for a few hours, drive over to the Comal River and get off the grid.

New Braunfels has something for everyone, and getting away to a small town just for the day is always nice. For all things to do in New Braunfels, visit tripadvisor.com. Don’t forget to go back for Wurstfest in October.

Downtown:

Spend a day exploring downtown San Antonio. Begin your adventure by parking at the UTSA Downtown Campus, and visit the shops and restaurants around the Pearl Brewery. Be a tourist and stroll up and down the Riverwalk. If you live near the UTSA Main Campus location, things may feel a little too suburbanized so dive into downtown. Who knows? A downtown hole-in-the-wall café might become your favorite place in the city.

Summer is a time for lazy days, sunshine and fun. Whether you’re the type of person who climbs Enchanted Rock every weekend or the type of person who is on the hunt for the best coffee around, this list is for you. Try the activities that sound appealing to you first, and then give the others a chance. Most of all, have as much fun as you can before school takes over again.