Column Corner: Fitness

The liberating realm of college life can be busy, to say the least. Balancing school, work, a social life and a tight budget can make working out and maintaining a healthy diet a hassle; but worry no more. Here are 10 simple moves that you can do virtually anywhere with zero equipment necessary.

Squats: Have you ever heard the phrase, “Do you even squat, bro?” This universal move is used to obtain toned legs and glutes. Bend your knees as you lower yourself into an invisible chair. For this exercise, your feet should be hip-width apart. Keep your chest up and sit up straight. Then, lift yourself back up to a standing position. Repeat for 10 consecutive reps.

Lunges: This next move also targets your lower body. Extend one leg back and bend your knee. Your front leg should be slightly bent. Never let your front knee extend out farther than your front toe. Be sure to keep your upper body straight. Repeat for 10 consecutive reps on one leg; switch and repeat movement on the opposite leg.

Planks: This next move works your shoulders, arms and abdominals. Lie facedown on the floor and prop yourself up by resting on your forearms. Your arms should be bent 90 degrees at your elbows. Extend your legs with your toes perpendicular to the floor. Engage your core to keep your hips level with your back. Hold for 30-second intervals.

Push-Ups: This move works the majority of your upper body muscles. Begin facedown with your body parallel to the floor. Place your palms on the floor underneath your shoulders and parallel to your face. Bend your arms and lower yourself nearly to the floor. Squeeze your core to keep your hips level with your back. Then, fully extend your arms. Repeat for 10 reps.

Shoulder Push-Ups: This move places emphasis primarily on your shoulders. Palms should be flat on the floor with fingertips facing each other. Toes should be perpendicular to the floor as you use your hips to push your butt high to the ceiling. Your body should be in the shape of an inverted “V.” All of your body weight should be placed in your upper back and shoulders. Let your head hang freely. Maintain the shape of the inverted “V”, and bend your arms as you lower your head to the mat. Press through your shoulders and hands as you straighten your arms and end in the beginning inverted “V” position. Repeat for 10 reps.

Crunches: The abdominals are usually the trickiest area to achieve desired results. This will help you get that toned six-pack. Lie flat on your back with your knees bent, your feet flat on the floor and your hands cupped behind your head. Squeeze your core as you bend at the waist and bring your shoulders off the floor. Keep your core engaged as you lower your shoulders back to the floor. Never lock your hands together behind your neck. Repeat for 10 reps.

Russian Twists: Another great move for the abdominals is Russian Twists. Sit up straight on the floor. Knees should be bent in front of you with your feet flat on the floor. Slightly lean your torso back as you fold your arms across your chest. Maintain a straight back and tall chest as you squeeze your core and twist your shoulders side-to-side. Repeat for 10 reps.

Moutain Climbers: Start in Plank position. Alternate bringing each knee into the chest, and then extend back to the Plank position. Pick up speed for higher intensity. Repeat as desired.

Burpees: Stand up nice and tall with your feet together. Bend down as you bring your hands to the outside of your feet. Jump back to push-up position. Next, jump back to the position with your hands in line with your feet. Return to standing position. For higher intensity, increase your speed. Repeat as desired.