Highlighting UTSA’s student organizations: Cultural

Cultural

African Student

Association

Goal: To educate UTSA students about various African cultures, by exposing students to dances and other fun, relaxed activities. We hope to give students a better understanding of what it means to be African.

Why: We want to support diversity at UTSA by informing the community about who Africans really are, what we do and, most importantly why we do things the way we do.

Membership: Anyone who wants to learn more about Africa and its cultures is welcome to join; we meet Tuesdays in the Hidalgo room. Our meetings consist of various forum topics and planning events.

How to Contact: Find us on RowdyLink or come see us outside the M.H. where we often fundraise.

Filipino Student
Association

Goal: To create unity among students of different backgrounds. We aim to enhance awareness of the Filipino culture at UTSA, to foster good will and to develop working relationships with other UTSA students. We like to make every student feel welcome — like they have a family away from home.

Why: We want to spread knowledge of our culture and show students why we are one of the friendliest organizations on campus.

Membership: The Filipino Student Association accepts students of any background. We are involved on campus, perform dances for various events, participate in intramural sports and spend time doing community service. After meetings, we host fundraisers and socials.

How to contact: We have meetings every other Thursday at 7 p.m. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter: @utsafsa. You can email us at [email protected].

Native American
Student Association

Goal: The Native American Student Association strives to bring students from Native American, Indigenous, and First Nation backgrounds together at UTSA. We seek to celebrate and foster our cultural heritage traditions and to provide a social environment in which we can congregate and build a strong student community.

Why: Native Americans are underrepresented at UTSA. We wanted a group where Native American students can learn more about their heritage and be in communication with peers who are aware of their ancestry. Out of almost 300 student organizations, we are the only cultural organization that reaches out to Native American students.

Membership: During our meetings we have craft workshops where we teach each other how to make items such as dream catchers, sage sticks and beadwork. We also talk about current issues and events happening in the San Antonio and national community. We seek to give members who are away from home a connection to the roots we all share to this land.

How to Contact: We meet Wednesday from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Buckeye room in the UC. Find us on Facebook or email at [email protected]. We table and jam out to hand drum and round dance songs on Fridays at the Paseo.

UTSA Sapna
(All- girls Bollywood/Fusion Competitive Dance Team)

Goal: We hope to become part of the Intercollegiate Bollywood Dance Competition circuit and compete with teams from around the country. In the UTSA and San Antonio communities, we hope to promote Bollywood dance and show there’s more to the dance form than people know. Sapna is the Hindi word for “dream.”

Why: We dance to both Indian and English music. Our repertoire includes hip-hop, classic bollywood, Bharatanatyam (classical Indian dance, and lyrical.

Membership: We practice twice a week at the UTSA Rec Center. During our practices we learn new choreography, refine our steps and work on production elements for performances. We also hang out as a team whenever we don’t have practice because, while we are a relatively small group of 14 members, we consider ourselves a family.

How to contact: Our email is [email protected]. We hold auditions for our team in the fall, but we may have spring auditions as well. You can find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/utsasapna.

Part two of five

Pick up the next issue to read up on UTSA’s lesser known religious organizations.