Let’s Do The Time Warp!

This week is all about books within the realm of time travel! Most time travel books fall under the Sci-fi genre and can be immensely entertaining. There are the classics, like “The Time Machine,” by H.G. Wells, but there are also newer books as well.

Take the third Harry Potter book for example, “The Prisoner of Azkaban,” for example. If you haven’t seen or read any of the Harry Potter movies or books and are waiting for a formal invitation, here it is! Consider this your official Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry letter. If you have read or seen the “Prisoner of Azkaban” and enjoyed the time-turner twist, then I have a list of series’ that you will love!

The first on the list is a book series written by Kerstin Gier. The first book in this trilogy is called “Ruby Red,” and was originally written in German. The story follows a teenage girl, Gwen, living in London. Her family carries a time-traveling gene that has been passed down through the generations. Everyone thought that Gwen’s cousin, Charlotte, would have the gene and spent years training her instead of Gwen. Unfortunately, the family’s calculations were a little off, Gwen actually had the gene. Gwen has no training and not the slightest idea of how to control her random blasts from the past. What is she going to do? Read the series to find out! There are a couple of minor plot holes throughout the trilogy, but overall, it is an engrossing read. The characters are hilarious and cleverly written. All three books in the trilogy are in stores now. I definitely recommend this series to all time travel fans.

“The Missing” series by Margaret Peterson Haddix is also a great read. The first book in the series is called “Found.” In this book, a plane mysteriously appears. Who, or what could be on it, and more importantly, where is it from? Thirteen years later, adopted kids all over town receive letters warning them that they are missing. From where are they missing and who are they? That is all I am going to tell you! This book series is extremely quick and easy to read. The writing style is similar to Haddix’s seven book series, “Shadow Children.” It’s a page-turner that will have you hooked by the prologue and guessing until the last sentence.

The final time travel adventure I want to share with you is the “Hourglass” series by Myra McEntire. Emerson is a girl who most people would describe as a little off. Ever since her psychotic episode, her brother and his wife have been looking after her. She sees ghosts, hallucinations, or some type of spirits. Emerson doesn’t know, and she doesn’t care. She is determined to ignore these creepy apparitions and get her life together, so she listens to her brother and meets with a new consultant, Michael, to help her with her “special circumstances.” However, Emerson can tell Michael knows something more, and she is determined to figure out everything he is not telling her. This series is suspenseful and creepy with bits of romance throughout. Supernatural or science fiction? You decide! If you pick this series up, you will not be disappointed!

Thank you for reading this totally time-tastic rendition of “Cover to Cover!” And remember, don’t knock it ‘til you read it!