Halloween at the McNay Have no fear of art

Mcnay

The people of San Antonio were in for a treat as the McNay Art Museum hosted its first ever “Have No Fear of Art: Halloween at the McNay.”

The sold-out event took place on Oct. 30 and had a schedule that suited all ages. From 5:30 – 7 p.m., families took their kids trick-or-treating across the beautiful Halloween-inspired landscapes.

On top of delicious treats, several food trucks, including Duke’s Seafood and Grill and Stout’s Pizza, were also present from 5:30 – 10:00 p.m.

At 7 p.m., the mood became spooky when “The Creature from the Black Lagoon” began playing on the lawn projector. The classic black-and-white horror film was the perfect crowd pleaser for both children and adults.

At 7:30 p.m. the real party started. The line tailed outside the doors of the McNay on the chilly night, but that wasn’t enough to spook people away. Inside, every costume, from witches and monsters to Bob and Louise from the TV show Bob’s Burgers, was represented. The event was held in an atrium that had been decorated just for the occasion. Every wall projected a different Halloween image ranging from pumpkin faces and witches on brooms to ghosts and ghouls.

Tables filled with complimentary cocktails, beer and snacks lined the outside of the atrium. Quick and friendly bartenders served three delicious cocktails: cucumber vodka, tequila with orange juice and a unique and flavorful cocktail with tequila, mango and a splash of Tabasco sauce.

The beer supply was limitless and included Bud Light, Bud-Light Lime, Miller Light and Miller Light Select.

The McNay Halloween party featured a DJ and even a palm reader for those brave enough to have their future told. People mingled, complimenting and comparing costumes, taking pictures and having a spooky, wonderful time.

A professional photographer sponsored by the McNay took complimentary photos for everyone at the event. The pictures will be available on the McNay’s Facebook page within two weeks.

To cap off the wonderful evening, the winners of the costume contest were announced. Most artistic was awarded to a Vincent van Gough inspired Starry Night costume. Meanwhile, the Big Bad Wolf and Little Red Riding Hood took the prize of the cutest couple’s costume. Lastly, a steampunk rabbit wardrobe took home the best costume award.

The night was a success and every child, parent and adult left with smiles on their faces. Whether it was trick-or-treating, “The Creature of the Black Lagoon” or the 21+ after-party, there was something for everyone.

The inaugural McNay “Have no Fear of Art: Halloween” event was an unparalleled success.

For those interested in visiting the McNay Art Museum, on Friday Nov. 21 it is hosting a free college night mixer from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.