Fun Fun Fun Fest: Day 1

Img 8465

After a late start and a major traffic jam on the way to Austin, I finally arrived at Fun Fun Fun Fest. The first sight I witnessed was a line that stretched from the venue to the parking lot. This was obviously soul crushing. I made my way to the front of the line to see if this was indeed the line to get into the festival. To my luck, me and the other Paisano journalists had the opportunity to wait in a much shorter media line. Yay.

This was my first time covering the festival, and I arrived in amazement.

Consisting of five stages, the music festival could satisfy any music lover. The first band that I saw today was Death From Above 1979. This rock duo blew the crowd away with amazing drumbeats and bass riffs to form an explosive alternative rock sound that kept the crowd moving and involved.

After Death From Above 1979’s set, I decided to venture the festival grounds to see what else made it “fun fun fun.”

I was surprised at all the merchandise tents and food vendors Fun Fun Fun Fest had to offer. Waterloo Records, various tobacco tents and a wide variety of bars (so many bars) just to name a few. An official Fun Fun Fun Fest tent on the grounds offered various stage headliner merchandise.

The media area that was offered at this festival was also quite surprising. Exclusive food vendors were offered to media personnel as well as free beverages and a nice, quite area to write and conduct interviews.

After exploring all I could for the first day, I decided to catch two other shows. After all, that’s what Fun Fun Fun Fest is all about.

The next show I attended featured rap-star 2 Chainz. The famous rapper put on a great performance and knew how to get the crowd involved with his constant request to the crowd to “put your hands up!”

The last show I saw was the headliner of the night, Judas Priest. This legendary metal group proved to the Fun Fun Fun Fest crowd that they still have what it takes to put on an amazing performance. Even after their encore, Judas Priest came back on stage to play two more songs because, simply stated by their drummer, “We don’t want to leave.”

Even after spending hours on the festival grounds, Fun Fun Fun Fest promises many more activities to be discovered. With the addition of the Fun Fun Fun Nites, my next two days at this amazing festival are guaranteed to be “fun fun fun.”