Holiday Buying

With the holidays quickly approaching, you may find yourself strapped for cash with a long list of gifts you need to buy. Thinking a little creatively will help you scratch each item off the list without going into debt.

Get a seasonal job

If you have the time and desire, picking up a seasonal job is a great way to make extra bucks. From retail jobs to restaurant gigs, many companies tend to hire extra help around the holiday season. Since most of these jobs are temporary, you don’t have to worry about working there longer than a few months. Some jobs will even offer you a long-term position if you show initiative.

Do odd jobs

From pet-sitting to babysitting, mystery shopping to tutoring, there are many small jobs you can do to raise some extra money. Websites like Care.com or TaskRabitt.com post odd jobs for which people are hiring. You can apply right on the site and even set up interviews with people before committing to a job.

Sell Items

Unless you have a stash of highly sought after technology or products, you might not make much money with this option. But selling your used textbooks on Amazon.com or at Half Price Books or selling gently used clothing items, purses and jewelry at stores like Plato’s Closet or Clothing Mentor can clear out your closet while putting some money in your wallet.

You can also evaluate what you have lying around your house and see if you have enough items to hold a garage sale. You can even partner up with friends or family members to have a mega-garage sale. Although you might not make a lot of money, you will make some extra cash and get rid of all of those unopened gifts from last year.

If you’re creative and crafty, you can even make your own items and sell them online on sites like Etsy. With the cold weather and holidays, many people look for cute, handmade gifts to give out instead of store-bought items.

Make money online

Nowadays, it seems like there’s a website that will pay you to do just about anything: review music, be an online juror, visit another website to make sure items are displayed correctly. Many websites will pay you to do surveys or do user tests to get your opinion on a website or a certain product/service. You can even write articles or product reviews for websites and get money for it. Simply doing a Google search will provide you with multiple websites that will pay you for your time.

However, it’s important to do research and make sure you’re not falling into a scam. Any website claiming that you’ll make $200 in an hour is probably fake. You should also never pay a website or give away any personal information like credit card numbers. Be smart and cautious, and if something seems off, it’s better to be safe than sorry.