Go Bo Diddley!

220px-go bo diddley 1959

Bo Diddley made a name for himself among the emerging rock n’ roll and blues talents throughout America in the 1950s. His music skyrocketed to fame straight from the Chicago blues scene and into American dance floors with his 1958 debut, “Bo Diddley.” The following year would see the release of his second album, “Go Bo Diddley,” in 1959.

Starting with the crossover hit, “Crackin’ Up,” gives hints of a tropical sound while climbing to #62 on the hot 100 charts and to #14 on the R&B charts. Following the first is another slow, sultry song titled, “I’m Sorry.” This track has another tropical aura and reached #17 on the R&B charts. “Bo’s Guitar,” is a sweet instrumental track to take the listener to a pleasant and smooth bliss.

“Willie and Lillie,” and “Don’t Let It Go” are cheerful tunes that Bo Diddley sings his butt off on and “Dearest Darling,” proved to be a favorite on his first and his second album. His upbeat tracks are no match for his bluesy sparks such as “The Great Grandfather,” “Oh Yeah,” and “Little Girl.” These tracks take a spin on blues in their own way: “The Great Grandfather,” plays hauntingly like a ‘50s horror movie, while “Oh Yeah,” provides the typical blues beats and rhythms and “Little Girl,” unveils the trademark blues harmonica and piano playing.

A fun song, “Say Man,” provides comic relief in song while Jerome Green shares the lead vocal spotlight with Diddley. The track which contains the two constantly bickering and teasing each other peaked at #20 on the Hot 100 charts and number three on the R&B Charts.

“Go Bo Diddley,” is a great follow up to his debut and his blues feeds the hungry fans that have watched him since he was on street corners in Chicago. This record was a testament to Bo Diddley himself on diving deep into his soul and seeing if he can do just as good with a second album. He did and America stopped to listen. Pick up the album and enjoy “Go Bo Diddley.”