Changes loom for the Texas Constitution

The Texas Constitution may change soon.

The polls will open on Nov. 3 — and not all of the propositions are beneficial for Texans.

Specifically: Proposition 7- SJR 5.

The proposed amendment reads: “The constitutional amendment dedicating certain sales and use tax revenue and motor vehicle sales, use, and rental tax revenue to the state highway fund to provide funding for non-tolled roads and the reduction of certain transportation-related debt.”

While mending the state’s highways may be a reasonable objective, the allocation of over $2 billion is best distributed elsewhere.

Not only will this proposition use an extraordinary amount of funds for the foreseeable future, the funds will undoubtedly leave forthcoming Texas Legislatures with budget issues.

In addition, the use of such a tremendous amount of money can and should be funneled into areas of immediate need, rather than Texas highways.

With the Texas Department of Transportation budget already at $12 billion for the 2016 fiscal year, would adding another $2.5 billion — dependent on state sales and use tax revenue — really make a difference?

Perhaps Governor Greg Abbott should redirect his focus on the health and well being of Texans.

Gov. Abbott, having already vetoed Senate Bill 359 — legislation that would have given hospitals a modicum of power to hold a patient for four hours if doctors consider that patient to be a danger to himself or others — should reassess and prioritize the needs of Texans.

Proposition 7- SJR 5 is a horrible amendment for the Texas constitution, and is crippling for Texas’ future. Throwing money at a situation doesn’t solve an issue — Gov. Abbott should know that; and his voters should hold him accountable.